Perfect Weather for the Upper

Guest chilli

Chilli

It will probally get better once the sun has been out for a little bit getting up early when it's this cold usually doesn't improve you chances I find mid day towards the end of the day better when temps are like this. But unless you go it doesn't matter what time it is :blink:

Dropped in at 12:20 and there was only one guy fishing as the breeze has picked up. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Good point Denis. Little bugger picks the darndest times to be a little bugger. Then it's hockey hockey hockey for the rest of the day. I might be able to escape for a solid 2 hours Monday.

As we discussed we just miised each other by a few minutes, wifey still swears we got there an 12:05pm, beats me tho, i don't watch the time 'cause it's a restriction as to what i can do and where i gotta be :P

Seen 2 fish caught, had one hooked myself.... but alas, this darn noodle rod is STILL kickin' my butt... was there for apx. 4hrs and lost alot of tackle :blink:... you all fish different than we do here at Port D and Queenston :o

i'll get 'em next time.... if it's not being able to catch a small mouth, it's not being able to catch a trout :blink:

Ah at least you hooked into one. I'll be loading up with lead tomorrow and hunkering down on the bottom. There's this one guy there that's really starting to bug me. He hooks alot of fish up here and I can copy exactly what he's doing and still not feel a hit. Tomorrow is another day and another game of Hockey. St Catharines is in town. Maybe you can hitch a ride Spanky :blink:

lol... yeah, my first drift after i switched baits i got the hit, then nothing for 3 1/2hrs... that guy that was there got into one in about 1/2hr, didn't see any after that, tho he was only there for 1hr before i left....

I was using the same set up as you when i hooked into one, then i switched to pencil leads.... not too sure what size tho, 3/4oz i believe, ran outta them and switched to 1oz and had a snag every 2nd drift.... never lost a thing with the splits tho :blink:

between the guides and the line icing up, it gave me another reason to call it a day...

wifey says i can only fish there Tues. and Wed. 'cause gas isn't cheap.... i figure, spend $5 in gas, get 1 bow and we don't have to buy dinner... she doesn't buy it tho... we'll see :blink:

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson

wifey says i can only fish there Tues. and Wed. 'cause gas isn't cheap.... i figure, spend $5 in gas, get 1 bow and we don't have to buy dinner... she doesn't buy it tho... we'll see  :blink:

6948[/snapback]

ahhh

The wife last spring said I could only fish 2 days aweek :o ,ok I said,theres 24 hrs in a day,48 hrs fishing time a week,I fish 8 hrs a day so..... :blink:

spanky get some good plyers or side cutters to cut down the pencil weights when driftn and you seem to hang up 3 or 4 times a drift cut a bit off and try again di this till it tapps bottom just a few times.. the idea is to be running along the bottom just enough so you know your there that way the whole drift is not tap tap tap.....that way when a fich hits you know it a hit and not bottom once you find the right weight to use take another weight and mark it in case you loose whaat you had saves time in the cutting process

also if you casting to far upstream you will always snag up should be castn between 10 and 11

I find the guys up here are using heavier weight than I but I can feel bottom just fine. Problem is the current is really moving up here and I'm downstream of the drift 3 times to their once. They seem to be getting the fish. My suspicion is that my roe is going so fast that if they do get a lip on it, they've smelled the borax and let go before I notice it on my end of the line. Also I'm not too familliar anymore with what the hit feels like and these boys are setting the hook often and hard. With my lighter rig if I set the hook hard it's at the end of the drift before touching bottom again.

thanks FOG, not sure what i'm supposed to feel while i'm bottom bouncing... with the first rig i had on it was just light taps on bottom every little bit, nothing that was gonna tear the rod outta my hands, that's when i got my hit/fish on... when i switched over to the heavier weight i felt bottom alot, but drifted slower... i was doing exaclty as you said, i was cutting the weights down to size.... i was using small needle nose pliers and i couldn't feel my hands, so i gave up after doing one of the big ones :)

for me, when i felt the hit it was exactly what i was told i would feel... rod tip went down, just like it was pulled down, lifted up lightly and it went down further so i set the hook and sure enough he was there.... now i know what it feels like i can set the hook a little bit faster next time, the whole proccess took 5 or more seconds :blush:

it kinda made me nervous that the guys were walking up to the top of the drift, casting out, and then walking down with the drift and their line would be 50ft to my left... i've spent enough time at Port and Queenston and have never seen anyone fishing that way... just means i'll have to adapt for next time :)

with all the tips i've gotten here i'm sure to get something.... the only other question i have is what line to use and how do i keep the ice outta the guides? ... i'm using P-Line Fluoroclear, it took a couple hours in -10 temps to freeze a bit, but it was only on the line froze not the line itself, so i *should* be okay with that.... but after every 6th cast i had to clean the guides out :dunno:

The roe magic man (intrepid) was using was from Port D... he called it "crappy roe" aswell :lol:

Spanky

I have some line that you might want to try. It doesn't absorb water so it doesn't freeze up the guides :dunno: amazing what fisherman will do to catch fish these days. :lol: Hmmm football or fishing? vcr tape football go fishing works for me :blush:

i'll have to stop by next time i'm up and grab some....

i got home right at 4:32pm, just in time for the kick off... today i'm not going anywhere, i'm still cold :lol:

thanks for the tip denis, you were definately right on :dunno:

As we discussed we just miised each other by a few minutes, wifey still swears we got there an 12:05pm, beats me tho, i don't watch the time 'cause it's a restriction as to what i can do and where i gotta be :)

Seen 2 fish caught, had one hooked myself.... but alas, this darn noodle rod is STILL kickin' my butt... was there for apx. 4hrs and lost alot of tackle :dunno:... you all fish different than we do here at Port D and Queenston :blush:

i'll get 'em next time.... if it's not being able to catch a small mouth, it's not being able to catch a trout  :lol:

6935[/snapback]

You could always upgrade to a beefier stick - the St. Croix Avid Series and newer Frontier MX blanks might be a good investment. You could probably then run 8lb main, and 6lb FC leader and put the boots to 'em!

g'luck! :)

Joe

Tried some bigger splits today and it went well. Feels better, casts farther and drifts slower. I still haven't got a snag on the splits yet I'll lose the pencil every 3rd or 4th cast. East breeze today. Tomorrow I'll be there for a solid two. Seeya there Smerch.

Dropped in at 12:20 and there was only one guy fishing as the breeze has picked up. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Good point Denis. Little bugger picks the darndest times to be a little bugger. Then it's hockey hockey hockey for the rest of the day. I might be able to escape for a solid 2 hours Monday.

6926[/snapback]

Can't compare queenston to the upper though, at queenston there's always a good number of fish to catch, so even if you're not using the most finesse presentation you still pick up fish. The upper is much clearer and not as many fish as the lower. If you pick up fish on your rig while fishing queenston, but not in the upper, it's probably due to a lesser amount of fish that you are casting to. Personally, i like the lower for steelies and the upper for muskies.

yep, i use the tag end of the main line for the split shots.... gonna have to find our where CharlieD gets his bags of split shots for $11!!

6978[/snapback]

$11? I should start selling them too as we make our own. Never thought about making a buck from it though. :lol:

Can't compare queenston to the upper though, at queenston there's always a good number of fish to catch, so even if you're not using the most finesse presentation you still pick up fish. The upper is much clearer and not as many fish as the lower. If you pick up fish on your rig while fishing queenston, but not in the upper, it's probably due to a lesser amount of fish that you are casting to. Personally, i like the lower for steelies and the upper for muskies.

6979[/snapback]

I disagree. There are people here that consistantly catch fish on a regular basis. It is much shallower here and is a different to fish than Queenston. I switch up my rig and put on another reel this morning and tossed into the crystal clear water and it didn't take long for my only roe bag to get smashed but I failed to pull the trigger. I myself have fished Queenston many times without anything to show for it so I don't agree that it is the number of fish rather than the fisherman himself :lol:

from speaking with the locals, it seems astho the upper has more steelhead... but it has a smaller average size of fish... whereas the lower has fewer fish, but they're bigger in size.... :lol:

But the water is faster in Fort erie...than spots in the lower! So it is harder to read a hit unless you have streamers..which set the hook themselves! I have had alot of snags in the upper! Only ever hooked one, but line broke! I don't go there often anymore, so I don't know what its like now for fishing. Last time was in Nov.

Archived