Lake Gibson in THorold Help Please

The_Fish_Dawg

One of my best fishing buddies from child hood recently moved to Thorold & told me aboua "conservation area" just down the road from his house. I drove by it to tonight and figured out that this was a section of lake Gibson. The area im referring to is Beaverdams Road & Kay St. Kay St runs down the middle of this section. I have only fished Lake Gibson once before 10 yrs ago , but not this section. What fish are availble here? Any pointers? Me & him want to fish this spot within a couple weeks & any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks in adavance. Also on a side note, just want to say that ive been viewing this board for nearly 2 yrs now ( i post once & a while) and just wanted to say that I like the new format here. Keep it up!

that is Beaverdams, it's not a conservation area... i fish it almost daily... LM bass and pike are readilly available, aswell as crappie.... odd bowfin and gar pike are also caught there.... lots of sheepshead, carp and panfish aswell.....

It is an extension of the Lake Gibson system, which includes many other systems in it.....

best advice.... fish.... there's not one lure/bait that out produces any others... i've seen people get bass/pike on a wide variety of lures and techniques.... just find what you're most confident with and be patient with it :)

Bigfish 1965, you may want to research your info before you post. Your comments are likely to get you sued unless you can substantiate them with truth and fact. You may want to contact OPG and the MNR.

Querries about L. Gibson...very slow this year. Usually spinnerbaits along deep weedlines get the nod for largies, and smallies come on tubes and cranks. Weed growth is not what it should be. I fish topwaters more than anything else with much success. Be sure to fish the thick and nasty weeds with rats and sluggos...that's where the big pigs hide!

Best of Luck!

I think bigfish is referring to an article that appeared in the papers last year about the pollution levels in the lake. I remember reading it too and even seen it on the net, but basically that's what the article was all about, the dangerous levels of some toxic muck that was found in Gibson and a warning to not eat the fish from there. I wish I saved it.

there's actually signs posted along Kay st. about the consumption of fish... can't remember what it says about it other than to avoid eating carp and refer to the MNR guide to eating sport fish in ontario (or something like that).... i personally haven't eaten anything outta there, nor would i.... :)

Bigfish 1965 stated the Lake is very polluted. Yes there was an article but the reasearch did not end there. Call the MNR and OPG before fear mongering. The Love Canal...now that was VERY polluted.....Lake Gibson....come on now.

3 seasons ago, I was fishing for crappie in the spring and a fellow angler beside me using the same rig (slip float with micro tube) caught a 3lb walleye.

It is a great fishery, I have caught some very good quality crappie, smallmouth bass and largemouth bass.

Good place to take the kids fishing!

Guest chilli

Actually, the guide to eating Ontario sport fish doesn't view the fish as a threat to human health with the exception of carp. Dean Nortan of the Ontario Power Generation has told me himself that there was one carp taken from the site that was tested and the results were right off the scale (on the bad end). I'm sure if it were up to him, the signs would be gone because in his opinion very few people (with the exception of a few europeons) even eat carp.

Now the Town of Thorold told me that the entire Lake (Gibson) was generalized as contaminated with PCB's because the entire shore line had tested positive for PCB's. They stated that some areas along Beaverdams road were very high compared to the rest. The area is posted and shall remain that way until the Ministry of Enviroment gets off there ass and does something with the results of the study handed to them by the independant company's who tested the area.

So you see, Bigfish's recomendations not to eat the fish from Lake Gibson (a polluted lake) were not reckless and can not be deemed negligent until after the MOE finnishes assessing the reports and recommendations of those who found the HIGH levels of TOXINS in the setiment.

:) Thankyou Bigfish for your concern for our health. I suppose one would never have suspected it with all that old industry laying around which was probably put out of bussiness due to the tightening of pollution laws in the late 70's. i hope this post doesn't put anyone on edge.

If anyone would like to view the actual report, it is available at the Thorold Library. Just ask the clerk at the desk in the back about the report on the "Lake Gibson pollution" as I was just told by Dean Nortan of the OPG.

Thanks to anyone who can give a friendly warning about possible toxic hazzards in any area where we might be headed to fish. Who knows, maby Spanky is European!

Guest chilli

Yes it is a good fishery and no one suggested that you are in any danger by enjoying it in a recreational manner. The warnings that were in effect stated that they suggest you not wade in the mud or disturb the setiment if possible and to proceed with caution if eating the fish. They also stated that the Ontario Guide to eating fish should be consulted. However I was also told by Dean Nortan of the OPG that they really don't want anyone swimming in the lake.

Love Canal? I think not

Proceed with caution? I would!

LOL

i most certainly am not European..... as i said, i personally would not advise eating anything from that stretch of water.... actually, the only fish i eat from around here are the crappie outta Jordan.... 98% is C,P & R.... it's just close to my house and the fishing is great :)

lol european.... eat the fish from there and you'll be a peein funny, that's for sure :dunno:

thought i should also add.... i've been fishing that area (Beaverdams) for about 5yrs now and have never seen a carp or anyone fishing for them.... :)

469[/snapback]

Thanks for the info everyone - dont worry it will be a C&R outing regardless of water quality. I'll post my results after we fish there.

I did a bit of surfing hoping to find that article online and came up empty, so instead here's one I found on canoeing the area. Sounds like a nice way to spend an afternoon, even from a rowboat (chilli). :)

Click here.

As for the question from someone about launching a boat, in the old days, it was never a problem but I have heard the rules have been tightened so be forewarned.

Chilli, you make some great points and seem quite informed. Good to see you took the time and effort to go through the proper channels to learn as much as you could.

Guest bigfish1965

Finally a lively discussion!

Edge:

I was employed as an environmental researcher and did a fair bit of work following the trail of contaminants in local waterways.I still do work for the MNR.

Lake Gibson is one of the red flagged areas. It has been known for quite some time that the levels of PCB's (polychlorinated biphenyls) have been tested at several times higher than the safe levels set out by Environment Canada is certain sections of the lake. It is so polluted that people are asked not to disturb the bottom sediments. In the section known as Marlatts Pond (sp?) the toxins are extremely high. Unfortunately this waterway is all connected and the toxins are free to move with the currents (which is why they don't want anyone stirring the bottom and why the boat launch was removed). These toxins are bioaccumulative. The longer a fish lives the more they contain. They are also well spread throughout the food chain. The zebra mussles in the water have been the only thing keeping the levels where they are.

Lake Gibson is the most polluted body of water in Niagara. Moreso than even the Niagara River. This is not uninformed nor is it fearmongering.

If you want to eat the fish out of that lake that is your right. But knowing what I know and knowing it first hand, and untill the government releases it's final findings on the lake,I will tell everyone I know...DO NOT EAT THE FISH THERE!

These toxins are a product of our past when we did not fully appreciate the dangers of these known carcinogens. PCB's were widely used and treated as innocuous materials without any type of safety considerations.

Ontario Hydro now owns the lake...ever wonder why?

Guest chilli

Thanks Edge. I really don't think bigfish was fear mongering and felt his good will was being put down. The article that was published by the media was of coarse sensationalistic and focused on the worst possible points which yes, was fear mongering. It sells. Unfortunatley, we are programmed to remember those parts of the story that sound the alarm bells. Practise catch and release and unless you are one of those immigrants who was raised to fish for survival and continue to do so here in North America, eating fish daily, you probably don't need to worry much.

I've said before, if your really concerned about the chemical buildup in the fish around here, then spark up a cigarette. After that the fish won't seem so bad. Just don't smoke alot of them.

Oh and to the Europeans. Smarten up! We've got better fish here than carp :)

Definitely don't want to be eating those fish out of there! :dunno: I've fished the pond where the peninsula is at the end of collier rd. for some 10 + years now and would have never even thought about eating a fish out of there. i've met many people down there over the years and i remember an older couple from new york and they kept the crappie and i even caught a catfish and gave it to him and he said to me , thanks, now i have breakfast for tomorrow with my grits. Sadly to say, i never did see this couple after that, i hope they are still doing fine. I see so many people keeping these fish i almost get sick to my stomach. They put those signs up i believe 2 years ago, do not stir up the bottom or whatever. if these signs say that than how can anyone that reads even consider eating fish from that watershed, it is purely a c&r fishery and there are some real nice fish in there so let's keep safe and leave the fish in the water not on your dinner plate. In closing, i'd like to thank the dorks who bring their family down there for a picnic of kfc and than when they leave they leave all the garbage, nice, why not just chuck in the water, it's already polluted! :)

Guest chilli
:) That made me laugh real hard you spaz! Sarcasm of coarse I'm sure. That happens everywhere. Hope you did your part and chucked it in a bag and put it where it belonged. It's up to a few who care to tidy up after the few who don't have a clue. Try not to let it burn you. I should take my own advice on that one though.

Archived