Ottawa River

durkin09

I'm heading to the ottawa river north of pembroke to camp and do some fishing. We are also going white water rafting one day and doing some kayaking as well. Should be an awesome trip, however I have never fished the ottawa. Anyone have any advice on what to target and how? We will have the use of a boat. Thanks.

Durkin

crusher musky fishin at times...there is a musky club out that way that fished the Ottawa river I read about before,,,these guys in the club don't even take pictures of them unless they are over 60 inches :DB):dunno:

Guest canadadude

Lots of eye's up that way aswell!!! I fished the Ottawa river aliitle north of that,Deux river for years!!!! Minnows on the shoals work well, if the fish aren't there they do suspend over the deep water!!! Trolling worm harnesses is agood for the suspended fish and inline boards work great, much the same as fishing Erie!!!! I used to use 1 1/2oz to 3oz bead trolling sinkers about 36" up from the harness and slow troll your line is almost at 45 degree angle to the boat and this would slay the suspended walleye!!! Also got them on downriggers over the deep water!!!! There is a good population of sauger aswell as the odd blue pickeral in the system!!!!

Thanks for the info guys, I think we are going to try to do mostly walleye fishing. I'll have to check the regs to see if we can have a shore lunch. Should be an awesome trip and will be sure to post on how it went, thanks again.

I've fished out of Deep River lots of times, also from Beachburg area, but I've had my best luck in Deux Rivieres, west, toward Mattawa. There's not as many people on that part of the river. From the boat launch your minutes away from 6-30lbs pike, (2 caught only 100 yards from the boat launch last summer), 2-6lb pickerel, 2-5lbs smallies and even specks (you'll need to walk a little for them :Gonefishing:

Jigs with live minnows seem to be the best on average, but we've caught them on everything we've thrown out there at one point or another.

Guest canadadude
I've fished out of Deep River lots of times, also from Beachburg area, but I've had my best luck in Deux Rivieres, west, toward Mattawa. There's not as many people on that part of the river. From the boat launch your minutes away from 6-30lbs pike, (2 caught only 100 yards from the boat launch last summer), 2-6lb pickerel, 2-5lbs smallies and even specks (you'll need to walk a little for them B)

Jigs with live minnows seem to be the best on average, but we've caught them on everything we've thrown out there at one point or another.

Gotta love that Deux Riviers some beauty fish in that area, and I know how crazy the pike fishing can be right out from antlers ramp!!!! One labour day we must have caught well over 100 Pike and burned about $1.00 worth of gas :Gonefishing: Some real trophies in that area and like you say you may see 5 other boats the whole weekend fishing!!!! It maybe one of the best areas around within a 5-6 hr drive ;)

Archived