Intresting find!

Guest FIN "S" FISHER

Guest FIN "S" FISHER

Wow I was just out in my Back yard (14 Acres) and seen some strange looking bulbs on some old dead ragweed stems ,so curious me went to see what they were ????? :P and to my surprise in each and every bulb I looked and ripped open 1 or 2 almost like wax worms or maggots alive and well. :P right on a new source for free bait .woooo hooooo.

just goes to show you when yor board stiff with nothing to do whammo! :o

Guest Big Bass Rich

Those things are perhaps THE deadliest bait for trout!! They're worth their weight in gold and this is the time of year to get them! They go and sort of hibernate in those bulbs til the spring time so collect LOTS now and keep them frozen!

what ever you do, don't leave them in the house too long, you'll have a wad of flies, i'm not sure which fly they are but we found some in the spring at beaverdams and we had to actually slice the little bulb open to get to the larvae, blue gill love em too. you might have a different type but i believe the fly larvae we found were horseflies, any bugalogists out there?

Hey guys I guess I failed to metion I am a bugologist (entomologist) by degree but am a high school science teacher by trade. Hopefully I get this right, but the main insect pests that bore into ragweed plants are usually Europen Corn Borer a moth type pest of corn around here, Stalk borer, and a type of beetle like insect called a Weevil.

They all use semi woody plants such as ragweed stems to lay overwintering eggs that usually survive through the winter as dormant larvae which continue to develop into mature adults in the spring.

They all I would assume make awesome bait for trout and panfish both in the winter and early spring. If you can get them now, use them, freeze the resta nd they will usully be no worse for the wear from the cold nap in the freezer.

You could keep them in small clear 35mm film canisters, with dry wood shavings. Make sure to store them in a cool or cold place. When kept cold, they will remain in stasis and take longer to make the transition to a fly or moth.

Archived