bass or pike

Guest Fish4fun

Guest Fish4fun

Hi everyone this is my first post since i just joined like 10 mintues ago, anyway i was wondering what is a good fishing spot from shore for bass and pike around the beamsville area and such, i've tried fishing at Decew but i've only got a little tiny perch there. Any suggestions on what to use there? this would be great help.

thank you-andrew

I don't know too many areas in Beamsville, do you know any farmers? Do they have ponds? ask to fish in their ponds, you might be surprised when you see what fish are in those ponds. There could be carp, bass, pike, sunfish , perch , catfish and other species. I would not eat those fish either because of the use of pesticides in and around the area but still could be fun. Other than that, unless you drive a little bit you could check out beaverdams middle pond at the end of collier rd. in thorold.do a mapquest search for directions. there's tons of water available to fish and i have caught fish on most waters you see while driving through the niagara region. I would use a small inline spinner say a #3 mepps, a tube jig, a bobber and worm(or any other bait) for the bass and panfish, and for the pike i would use a spinnerbait(doubles for the bass) or mepps musky killer with at least an 8 inch leader. Decew is pretty big area, where did you try ? All i can say is try some of these baits in that area and you might luck into a fish or 2. If you need any of these baits check out peter's tackle on secord dr. off of lake st. in st. catharines and you might even get some info as to where to go. good luck, hope this helps, expand on the area you were in at decew, other people could probably help you out a little better. Remeber, fishing for bass and pike you are limiting the fish you can encounter from shore as most of these fish are solitary although bass school up in packs of 5 or more from time to time and pike school up in spring and sometimes fall it's uncommon for you to catch more than a bass/pike or 2 from the same shore spot. Don't forget your ultralite for the panfish, more fun catching them than washing lures. John

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Fish4fun

ya thanks alot for the hints, i would have got back to you sooner but i went camping.(to this place in Wellandport, chippawa creek, i caught a small mouth and a large mouth on crayfish but that was it) ya i woulnd't eat the fish from those farmers ponds, there's carp in my creek i catched them all the time. the place at decew when you go over the bridge down the gravel road and the water on your right, there is a trail that goes way back in the bush and i walk that one to the end.(make sense?)thanks for the tip about the bass being in schools i didn't know that,(see me and my brother used to fish but he got married and i gotta learn this stuff on my own) can you launch a canoe at beaverdams middle pond, just wondering i never seen that place. thanks again for the tips

yes you can launch a canoe or car topper at the middle pond. there is a resident that even has a motor on his boat but i would go with an electric. my friend had a bass tender that we used to launch there and at decew(i think there is a no trespassing sign there now). we caught several bass at both places but some huge muskie in the decew area as well as pike. if you fish the middle pond at the end of collier, a 7 inch black worm would be the ticket, peg the bullet weight(3/8 oz) with a toothpick or just let it be so it slides up and down. my best luck in beaverdams for bass has been to just cast it out and deadstick it (just let it sit)for a minute or so. the bass will find it and once your line starts to tighten just hammer away. there is a peninsula that juts out at the end of collier rd. to your right, can drag a cartopper or canoe there, don't disturb the bottom too much however as it is contaminated.Good luck, John.

Archived