Underwater viewing units

Ola

This may seem a tad premature but...it is getting colder out there....so I was hoping to gleam some helpful advise from the gearheads out there. Come on, you know who you are...

Okay. I have decided that I want to spend my hard earned $$$ this winter on an underwater viewing system. I am looking at the Aqua View II (with taping) How does the battery hold up in 8 hour stints on Simcoe, for instance. I was looking at another system that used regular batteries and I know they would burn out in the cold. It would be cold since we would rather have a fun toy like this than a shelter-saving that for yet another year. Does the camera unit swivel underwater or can you make it stay aimed in one spot? And is the taping part worth it? (My son was the one who really wants the taping.)

I would also be using it in the canoe cause we are dying to get a good look at the lake we have been fishing every July 1 for years and want to see if our imagined underwater topography matches the real thing. Is the unit practical for a canoe?

Are there similar models for less $$$ like the Cabela brand that are worth the money or not?

And, if I approach Canadian Tire would they give me some of the $$$ they are raising from red tennis balls to help fund my kid in the sport he wants to play (namely fishing)? Hockey is for wimps-did you know they even have warmers in the arenas? Let's put them in the middle of Simcoe for a whole day and see how well they do then. :)

Guest Centre_pin Assassin

hey i have a aqua view, its great i have the perch camera,(looks like a perch) my battery on it lasts for like a good 8 hours straight when i go ice fishing. but the current is a big factor on what you can see on mine i have the fin, so it will basically swimm withe the current and stay strait but it almost never goes where you want it. but if your gonna get one make sure it has led lights built in to it so you can see at night and deep below, also get either a 50ft or 100ft cord i have a 50ft and it is really good. well thats my info goodluck...

We used an aqua view up in Lake Simcoe last year and I have to say it was amazing. It is rather difficult to keep the camera facing in the direction you want it to go , unless you are turning the cable by hand manually moving it around, which is what I spent 90% of my time doing... the problem with these wonderful gadgets is, you spend more time watching the television screen than catching fish... great little toy but it did not help put more fish in the boat.

Battery lasted the entire day in both warm and cold temps.

thanks all for your help. I was thinking the stay-in-one-place thing would be an issue but I readof people recommending the 'tripod' so I am guessing that it is an accessory which would let it sit on bottom and was figuring I could rig something up like that. Sound crazy? In the end I realize it is just a big expensive video game but should be more fun (and 1/2 the price) of Vexilar which I have seen in action and therefore know that that is also a video game with live players (fish). :angry:

It's just another tool to catch fish(& fisherman). Some ice fishing guys will drill a second hole and point the camera at their bait. It's supposed to be cool to see the fish take your bait and how many fish that actually swim by your bait and never even look at it. As Jen said a lot of people spend more time looking than catching but if you learn something about the waters your fishing that you didn't know before it may help catch fish down the road.

Guest Eyelike2fish

There is a guy in our carp club that uses it all the time. He tries different rigs, how well circle hooks, how pack baits release, how rigs tangle with rigs, and so on. It is neat to watch the fish picking up the chum and getting closer to the hook bait. I could not believe how many times the carp picked up the hook bait and spit it out without getting hooked on both hair-rigs and directly on the hook.

Steve

I have an aqua vu II. It is amazing. I also have the tripod, cost me like $20 at BPS. It was awsome all winter. I always drill a second hole 6-10 ft away from were i am fishing and drop it down. I don't know how it did not help some people catch fish. You see how the fish react to what you are doing. Helped me get lots of perch on Erie & Simcoe.

Archived