best free boat launch on the upper river?

Smitty

Black Creek great little ramp

Take the Qew Fort Erie ,to Netherby Rd cut off go left over the Highway follow it all the way down to the River and the launch is right straight ahead of you.

Dallas

See guys dropping all size boats in there as well as guys with Jet skis on the back of 4 wheelers dropping in there

there's simular docks dotted all along the upper river like that, all the way up to the one across from Fishin Niagara, there's 3-4 launches all simular and small docks are always there

no, looking for a launch. just wondering if there was a decent chance at a muskie in that area. I am not familiar with the upper river, just trying to cut the searching time down.

Thanks.

Musky fishing is not what it used to be on the upper. They have been hit very hard by VHS. Some have chosen not to fish it at all so as to give the fishery a chance to recover somewhat. Some of the U.S. charter captains are taking clients to Chautauqua instead. There are still fish to be had though. There are musky near Black Creek, but they, like other species, can be finicky too. Many fish will follow, but not strike. A Figure 8 or an "L" before you pull your lure up is a good choice. In the typically clear waters of the upper though, they see the boat quick and often retreat. I have been fishing musky for about a month or two lately, partly to make observations for myself and musky consevationists. Navy Island is also a good choice. You will inevitably get pike mixed in. I nailed some very nice pike just last week. The water is still quite warm so the Musky fishing will be in keeping with those temps. i.e. they are still in summer/fall holding areas such as shallow weeds. Don't be afraid to fish deep as well, perhaps by trolling. I'll be in a green Nitro bass boat out there on Sunday possibly. Stop by and say high if you wish. Stay safe! Water levels are very low. Niagara Parks Marina has been open and free for me for the past month. It is sheltered and easy to use. It is further up the river past Black's Creek launch. A more local website for muskies is www.mostlymuskies.com.

Pauly

Archived