water clarity report for Whirlpool and port D

fishfight

I lost a bass, but my friend caught a Salmon at the whirlpool. There were still few Salmon there, three total salmon were caught, couple of lakers(out of season) and couple of steelhead by other anglers in the area. Lots of jumpers, mostly Salmon, but few takers. There were at least 12 anglers on monday. The Salmon we caught was still decent in its color, but hardly fought. By 10:30am, it was down to 5 angler, and we left the place.

To continue to fish for salmon, one has to go at night with glow cleo. We caught ours right after dawn with a crankbait.

Water temp still too warm for more trout to be at the whirlpool in my opinion. Whirlpool water was very clear, but the level stayed the same, never came up at all. Port D is also fishable with 3 foot visibility. We fish for 1/2 hour and saw 1 steelhead caught among 12 anglers. It was raining the whole time at Port D, and we did not have the patience to continue.

With this unpredictable water temp, where bass seemed to still be hitting, lake trout is there but not in season, and Salmon still around. I will wait few more weeks to let the trout comes in completely. Both lake trout caught by other anglers were with silver spoon.

I assumed the fish were mostly spooked from Sat and Sunday anglers. Until the cold temp comes it, and only serious anglers who are willing to face the cold temp shows up, it would be tough to fish on a monday.

I will wait 2-3 more weeks for whirlpool fishing.

Tightlines.

Charlie,

US license is definitely a must. I got mine already, Walmart across the border sells them. I got mine through mail and US DAR( conservation/ Environmentalist) have my past record on file.

MY last trip at the upper was 3 weeks ago before I left abroad to see my mom.

We landed 11 fish in 1 1/2 hours on the US side, and have to give up after realizing that it was still US side, we then fish the CA side for 4 hours and caught nothing, The place we caught fish was still considered US side though slightly closer to the CA side this time. It was the place where my boat was stuck at the bottom on shalllow water when we were together.

Remember the spot where you and I caught fish last time when you, steve, and I were there? Those spot were US side and were amazing fishing site, and I avoided those spot 3 weeks ago knowing it was US side, so we ventured more on top of the area and farther to the CA but it was still considered US side. My 4 times visiting that area conclude US side is better fishing.

We caught 5 Pike, 6 bass and lost couple more, all in a short while. We spoke to couple of locals on boats, and we were told that we were fishing US side. My license has expired then.

Hope to hook up with you soon. I am hoping to find someone who has the US license so I can still fish the river on a boat before it freezes, but most of my contacts are too cheap to buy it, were hoping to sneek into the area and not getting caught. I was fishing with others who do not have the US license when I was there 4 times.

Josh

Archived