Reels and other equipment

Guest chilli

Guest chilli

Ok, so we've determined that "Southbend" is entry level crap. So what brand names do you recomend for things like hooks, leaders, swivels, pickeral rigs etc.

Also, I was looking for a new reel for bass. Something really light but not ultralite. I found a mitchell copperhead for $40 and a "Rapala224" reel and "RapalaIM-6"rod combo for $70, both at CTC. Any suggestions. Now I'm a dimestore fisherman but I expect it to last a year and the tension to work so if you guys have any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks....................................Dan

Guest bigfish1965

I have yet to try the Rapala reels but have had a look and at least they 'feel' like they are solid reels. Daiwa makes some fine stuff for a great price. I have several older Zebco Pro Staff and Abu Garcia reels that I didn't pay a pile of money for and they still catch fish! Of course you couldn't pry my Shimano out of my hands for nothing! I may have a look at teh IM6 combo meself!

Guest chilli

I also use fireline 8lb. Have you noticed a change in longevity since it first came out. It used to be shiny and lasted a good year if you steered clear of the muddy water but now I'm lucky to get 3 months. Some say it doesn't eat the guides anymore but hey, Pete's got disposable rods!

As for shimano, I think you still need to either investigate or inquire. Doesn't every company have their good stuff and the econo versions?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived