What kind of trout/salmon is that?

Dan Andrews

Ok there was a question the other day about a fish that was caught by cplummer and whether it may be an Atlantic or not. I have a PDF fact sheet sent to me by Chris Robinson of the OFAH which I posted on the St Catharines Game and Fish web site. Check it out and keep your eyes open.

http://scgameandfish.net/files/ATS.pdf

Cliff I'm beginning to believe the fish you caught when I was there was a young laketrout. Take a another look.

[/img]

If you can guys take the picture with the sun in front of you as it is hard to identify this fish because the sun being behind Cliff makes it impossible to see the spots. By no means and I asking anyone to hold a fish to be released out of the water longer just for identification purposes.

It doesn't matter what side of the Atlantic debate your on (sad that there is a debate) but it is important either way for us anglers to monitor fish stocks and report as much as possible. Especially if it is out of the ordinary like Atlantic's or young musky etc.

Also here is a copy of the email Chris sent me:

Hi Dan,

Attached is the Atlantic salmon ID key, which actually keys out other salmon

and trout too.

On another front, just today (made the mistake of dropping in to work while

on holiday) I received word of a class that may be interested in an Atlantic

salmon classroom hatchery down your way (St. Joseph's Catholic School #116,

in Stevensville). If things work out, I'd be looking for an individual or

club that would be interested in being the mentors for it, mainly being on

hand for technical emergencies, but it can also be a chance to get in and

talk about fish and fisheries. Would you have any contacts that might be

interested?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Robinson, M.Sc.

O.F.A.H. Atlantic Salmon Restoration Program Coordinator

Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters

4601 Guthrie Drive, PO Box 2800

Peterborough ON, K9J 8L5

Phone: (705) 748-6324 Ext. 237

Fax: (705) 748-9577

E-mail: chris_robinson@ofah.org

http://www.bringbackthesalmon.ca

http://www.atlanticsalmonontario.ca

If anyone is interested in helping run a classroom hatchery in Stevensville for the Fort Erie Conservation Club let me know and I'll sponsor you into the club. I'd love to do this but am way overtaxed due to lack of volunteers in our field. All I can tell you though is if you pick up one or two projects, you'll have way too much fun and gratification that will leave you wanting to get more involved. Instead of picking up more, bring in a friend.

Thanks

Dan Andrews

seeing as this question has been raised at a couple spots....for the record, the fish that Cliff caught is 100% rainbow, I know, it was caught in my boat and I netted it, the actual fish that started the whole question was this one, and in my opinion it is in fact a strain of rainbow, I have caught afew over the years like that, they have all the exact markings of a rainbow except for the forked tail, I have other older regular pics of a few I caught, all where caught well into the glenn in the winter except that one from the other day

Archived