Favourite Lure or bait for Lower Niagara

edg

Just joined the board and would be interested in finding out what others favourite lure or bait is when fishing the lower niagara from shore. I have just started fishing last spring and have mainly used spoons, in-line spinners and streamers as of late (just started tying in October). I will be trying roe shortly ( as soon as some the ice clears). :lol:

Guest Gill Finigan

Sounds like your on the right track for baits. Couple others you might try is pink worms and soft plastic minnows. Adding a corky to your drift baits help out too.

Hey Guy: At this time of the year I,ve done very well with jigs and four inch white twisters or jigs tipped with minnows. Minnows should be large. Drift it the same as a roe presentation. Keeping your tip high and feeling your way along. Look for slack areas in current. I,ve done my best fishing also on the worst days weather wise. Trout like a east wind. Good fishing. Scottydog

Thanks Scottydog - haven't really tried jigs and twisters on the lower, did on the creeks off the upper last summer and had a good run on smallmouth. Will throw a couple of those into the vest on the next trip down.

Tightlines! :lol:

I have alot of trouble doing the drift fishing technique, just can't seem to grasp it. I know it shouldn't be this complicated, but I just have no clue what I'm doing apparently. I usually stick to cast and retrieve because of this. Does anyone have any luck with William's Wobblers or any other lure/spoon that works good with a cast and retrieve? ANd also an important question, do you guys put some extra weights on your line so that the lure can get to the bottom quicker? Any help on cast and retrieve on the lower for the trouts would be fantastic...thanks

Guest Gill Finigan
I have alot of trouble doing the drift fishing technique, just can't seem to grasp it.  I know it shouldn't be this complicated, but I just have no clue what I'm doing apparently.  I usually stick to cast and retrieve because of this.  Does anyone have any luck with William's Wobblers or any other lure/spoon that works good with a cast and retrieve?  ANd also an important question, do you guys put some extra weights on your line so that the lure can get to the bottom quicker?  Any help on cast and retrieve on the lower for the trouts would be fantastic...thanks

8164[/snapback]

Spinners, spoons and wobble plugs like kwikfish all work in the river. I find the lure bite picks up more as spring approaches and fish get a bit more active. You can try using kwikfish on a three way rig and let it drift in the current. they usually hit it hard so it's easier to detect bites then drifting roe.

Ok Charlie. What time does Petes open up? I think FW opens at 9 or so for minnows and roe bags. I will post later about going for sure. You would be welcome in the boat.

Oh that would be great...no sure about Peter's...his hours are weird!!

I am not sure where else to get minnows...never use them, sorry! I tried calling peters but no answer! You can check the 24 hour bait thing on Welland ave in st .Kitts

I have alot of trouble doing the drift fishing technique, just can't seem to grasp it.  I know it shouldn't be this complicated, but I just have no clue what I'm doing apparently.  I usually stick to cast and retrieve because of this.  Does anyone have any luck with William's Wobblers or any other lure/spoon that works good with a cast and retrieve?  ANd also an important question, do you guys put some extra weights on your line so that the lure can get to the bottom quicker?  Any help on cast and retrieve on the lower for the trouts would be fantastic...thanks

8164[/snapback]

I haven't tried the Williams Wobbler, but have had good luck over the years casting from shore at Artpark on the US side with; Little Cleo Spoons, Kwikfish and the #1 lure for me, the Blue Fox Super Vibrax Spinner #4 Silver. You need to add weight with the Super Vibrax and Kwikfish, but the little Cleo's you can buy with enough weight to get down in a hurrry.

I would think these lures would work anywhere in the lower river.

-Dave

Guest Gill Finigan
Ok Charlie. What time does Petes open up? I think FW opens at 9 or so for minnows and roe bags. I will post later about going for sure. You would be welcome in the boat.

8284[/snapback]

I think the bait part of FW is open even earlier. There web site says 5am sat and sunday, not sure if that's winter hours

CharlieD - FW is Fishing World in Hamilton, just west of Cenntenial Parkway on the north side of Barton Street . Their bait store is open at 5 am on the weekends or so the sign says. I was there about a week ago picking up some dubbing for dry flys and one of the owners was talking about an increased need for minnows for Niagara. :lol:

Archived