Great Lakes Ice Report

scottydog

Hey Guys: I was just on the Great Lakes ice report page and they are showing as of Jan 25 the lake at time of satalite imagery is completely iced up. I have a hard time believing this. What do you think. Does Science lie? Her is the web page:

http://140.90.54.35/pub/great_lakes/D9_Support/

I find it weird with all the bad ice reports. Check it out and what do you think?

Good fishing. Scottydog

Guest Abinokid

Hi scottydog!Yes very weird.I went to look at the bay today and there was open pockets of water.We walked on there sunday and there was 4 inches of good ice.Last year i was on there fishing Jan.17 and this year it might not happen.abinokid

Guest bigfish1965
I don't know, what it is showing is most of the lake with either <2" or 2-5" of ice, that's not good ice in my opinion.

just a thought.

Tim

8048[/snapback]

Well it says 2" of shore ice on Lake Ontario and I tell ya that ain't so!

Guest erie_guy

Went to college and got edjumacated in GIS, so here goes. Without getting too technical, they shoot a beam down (probably radar for ths application) from a satellite and analyze the portion of the beam that gets bounced back. They run the data through a program that uses various logarithams (let's not go there), and break the data into groups i.e. 0-10, 11-21, etc, etc. Then they assign a colour to each data group to produce a digital image (map). That's all fine and dandy, but accuracy depends on the number of false positives i.e. drifting ice, whitecaps, and the logarithms used to clean and group the data. To confirm this data you have to do ground-truthing (get off your butt and take a look). If a company decided they wanted to accurately show the ice status on all of the Great Lakes it would cost a fortune, and most likely by the time they got done it would be months down the road. Considering this is done relatively cheaply (our tax dollars) and quickly so it has some relevance = its a guide only. You can bet the shipping companies with cargo vessels have much better data.

For our year long assignment my partner and I did a freebie for the Town of Fort Erie, and classified the landuse of Fort Erie using Aster and Landsat7 satellite data. Believe me, it aint easy.

Hope this helps. :lol:

Archived