Township Hunting Licenses

ninepointer

For the last 5 years or so, a small but persistent group of us hunters across southern Ontario have been hounding municipalities, the MNR and the OFAH to reform the way that municipal hunting licenses are administered. At issue is the fact that in many places these licenses no longer serve any justifiable purpose. We have been successful in getting a handful of municipalities to stop requiring hunters to be licensed. These were places where the townships were doing nothing but pocketing the money.

There are places, Norfolk County for example, where they administer a great licensing program. The funds go back into conservation projects (including but not limited releasing pheasants), license sales are robust, the licenses are enforced and pheasants are commonplace on the landscape. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for Niagara, where township licenses are a joke.

Over the last year or so, we have finally gotten the attention of the higher powers and there are encouraging signs that changes might finally be coming in southern Ontario. Stay tuned...

This is being discussed by the OFAH at the zone level and most agree something needs to be done. In Fort Erie there is no enforcement. The City of Niagara Falls couldn't even tell me where to buy one there. When I purchased mine for rabbits I asked how many they sell here in FE. I was laughed at. "Very few". The bylaw officer here told me he has no desire to enforce municipal bylaws where a weapon is involved.

The OFAH was suggesting that local conservation and sporting clubs handle them but really there are only a couple of clubs left that hunters haven't abandoned. People who care about the resource need to get back to supporting there clubs and issues like township licenses.

Guest canadadude

The only Township Liscence I use to buy was Niagara On the Lake, just for the Pheasent Hunt and in those days it was a must have!! Well now all the pheasents are gone so the hunt has pretty much ended :dunno:

The only Township Liscence I use to buy was Niagara On the Lake, just for the Pheasent Hunt and in those days it was a must have!! Well now all the pheasents are gone so the hunt has pretty much ended :dunno:

Hey Canadadude, I know of a least one pocket of pheasants in NOTL, but we leave them alone. I'd feel awful hunting something that is so scarce in Niagara.

Chilli, I'm optimistic that the we will finally get the support of the OFAH on this. Too many of us have have been trying to fight for change on our own.

Ninepointer,

Have you visited the zone J web site?

http://ofahzonej.tripod.com/

It's tripod so it has popups but check it out at least once. There is a feedback section where they were asking about township licenses last year. This is the type of thing we need to comment on. If little feedback is given then it's considered not too important to members. Get in touch with your zone rep and question/comment the heck out of him. Engaging your reps is important if you want the powers to work on your side. They can't guess what we want.

Hey do you make the Port C meetings? Would you like to attend the zone meeting in London on the 6th. Alf is medicated and can't drive.

Hey JWL can you represent our club? I'm working as usual.

Archived