Nipissing

PickerelHunter

I went up to Lake Nipissing last weekend with my dad and a bunch of his buddies. Thought that I'd share the trip with you guys, as many others do on this site and I love reading about them. Weather was beautiful, sunny but a little cold, around -25. We got there Friday afternoon. We were staying at the Waltonian, nice place, great restaurant and bar area. The Bombardier took us out at 1 to our huts, a good 16+ inches of ice in the area. We were all just using jig heads tipped with live minnows and a splitshot about a foot up, let the weight hit the bottom, then reel in a foot or two so minnows just off the bottom. Nothing was biting at all till about 4:30 when my dad went out side and got a hole drilled. He caught a perch and a pickerel within 15 minutes, then another guy caught a perch outside during this time too. around 5:00 it was finally my turn for some action, I saw the rod tip go down and reeled up a 15 inch pickerel, just under the slot size. So although it wasn't too big it definately got the blood flowin', but the bite died after that. On Saturday it was overcast and really windy, and the bite was totally off, one of the guys in the hut had what we figured to be a whitefish but it ended up tangling all our lines and snapping off...I had a couple bites, probably perch, but couldn't hook into it. Sunday was nice, but again, nothing to show for it...the trip was great, but the fishing was awful. And it wasn't just us, most of the people up there had bad fishing days all weekend. I don't know what's going on with Nipissing, but I keep hearing it's getting worse and worse, maybe it's just the area of Callandar Bay that we were in. I'd say it was just our bad luck (or poor fishing technique :() but anyone we bumped into said they weren't catchin' much. It's not worth going up to Nipissing especially if the bites better else where for a better price. Here's some pics, I've never done this so hopefully it works

normal_000_0072.JPG

These are the four fish we caught on Friday

normal_000_0075.JPG

ANd this is me with the 15 inch pickerel I caught...sadly it was the fish that won me 160 bucks for biggest fish :lol: ...I was happy but it's quite embarrassing for everyone.

Hopefully next trip proves a little more successful...it can't get much worse

Archived