Long Point Bay - Ice Fishing Perch Derby-Cancelled

Guest Markus

FH_IceDerbyFlyer_2005_LongP%7E0.jpg

Rules

Boundries - Inner Bay of Long Point

Hut's, Power Augers, Fish Finders, Live Bait and Motorized Vehicles can be used.

Participants may arrange/accept taxi services to move about the bay.

No holes will be provided. Participants must make their on holes.

Must obey all MNR Regulations.

Judges have final acceptance decision for all fish entries.

Ony perch 8IN and up will be accepted for weigh ins.

Only Pike 20IN and up will be accepted for weigh ins.

Tickets needed for Weigh in. Ticket holders can weigh in up to 10 perch.

Organizers are not responsible for any injuries or losed/damaged property.

For additional Info Please contact:

Markus via Email - mkehoe@fernlea.com

Hope to see a few of you there. We have some great prizes to give away! Kids are welcome too and there'll be lots of free draws specifically for them.

Sincerely,

Markus

Hey Markus: Can I get these derby tickets locally. I live in Fort Erie. Or do I need to drive to derby and purchase them on day. I would like to have ahead of time. So I can get on ice right at 6:30. Let me know. Thanks for the posts. Good fishing. Scottydog

You'll be able to get them the morning of. It's a quick process...just sign your name, take you ticket and you'll be gone. We'll have volunteers helping out and we don't think this will be a quick proces. Getting minnows might prove to take a little more time though...think ahead there.

This warm spell isn't what we need, but we'll see what weather next week brings. :worthy:

so whom else from this area is heading out there?

i may pick up some gear for the wife and i and head out for our first ice fishing expedition.... scary thought, the blind leading the blind :P

the worst that can hapen would be me falling through a pre drilled hole... my luck isn't the greatest and the wife, well she's a clutz like no other!!!

guess we'll see, won't know 'til the last minute tho.... just curious whom else is heading up... after seeing Markus' report on another board i could really use a feed of Perch.. :D

Guest Jeetmuck

I am definitely going to try and get my wife and kids to join me at this one for sure. Derby and nice snacks the day after, what more could you want. I will try and get there early and buy the tickets on the ice.

Thanks Markus and hope to see some of you guys and gals out there,

Gene

• 2 weeks later...

Cancelled.

I deeply regret that I have to cancel the Ice Fishing Perch Derby on the inner bay of Long Point scheduled for Feb 26th.

Wanting to make the right call, I’ve looked at the ice and talked to our bay “regulars”. Temps this week are defiantly promising, but I can’t take the chance on the current conditions.

Big Creek opened the inside of the bay and weakened the ice base there. The pressure crack isn’t safe on a good day and has been reported to have open water in and near it. Shore ice is a complete mess on the St Williams side. I see a lot/most of the operators have brought the majority/all their huts in. And there’s reports of people going through last weekend.

My goal was to get folks together and showcase our beautiful resource – Long Point Bay. The above conditions are not a reflection of what our Bay has to offer for ice fishing. The very fact that I’m hesitating is more than enough, but I hold yours and everyone’s safety as my top priority. I cannot in good conscious disregard your safety to showcase our bay when it’s nowhere near its full and safe potential.

I want to thank Rotten Ronnie for all his work in helping organizing and hosting this event. I want to thank Stomp, FN and NFN for allowing us to promote the Derby on their respected message boards. I want to thank the volunteers at Fish-Hawk.Net for extending their time and resources for this event. A big thanks goes out to Sherman’s for allowing us the privilege to set up in their office at the St Williams ice access. I want to thank The Oxford County Bassmasters for volunteering their scales and staff to help with the weigh in. Thank you so much to all the folks and businesses that have donated prizes for this event. All prizes will either be returned or used in a future LPB event where the business will be recognized and thanked again. I’ve been in touch with all sponsors and we are making arrangements for their support.

In short - this sucks. I’m extremely disappointed with having to cancel, but I promise you that next year we will organize an earlier, bigger and better derby to showcase our anglers and Bay.

I hope I haven’t inconvenienced anyone and I thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards and Sincere Apologies,

Markus

Good call. I was wondering when this would happen. The ice here in Fort Erie is extremely dissapointing. We wouldn't want to bring the kids on to questionable ice.

Guest bigfish1965

It is unfortunate, but I am glad to see that you guys did the right thing. Big kudos from this point of view! It is better to be disappointed than to be waiting for the Coast Guard.

Archived