Just got back from Port D.......

Guest kingphisher

Guest kingphisher

I've just returned from Port Dalhousie. I caught 1 Brown that was 27" long probaly between 5 to 7 lbs. Caught using a sliding barrel sinker rig and a White, Pink and Olive streamer. Fish hit hard and on my first cast to boot! This was my first fish caught since December. I got even more satifaction with the catch 'cause I tied the streamer myself. I got alot lot of hit's but could'nt set the hook. The Water was fairly clear and good flow to the water. Perfect drift condition's. I'll head out again on Sunday morning. I am going to Port Rowan tomorrow for perch through the ice. Good luck to all of you on the water. Hope you catch your limit.

Guest kingphisher

Thanks Steve. It'll be my first time ice fishing. I made my own ice rod out of a old graphite rod that i broke. I'm glad i kept it though. I partner it witha Daiwa US40 micro-closed face reel spooled with 4lb Trilene cold weather line. I think this will do the trick. For added sensitivety I added a hi-viz spring bobber to it because i was told that the rod was fine for trout but i would have a hard time detecting bites from perch.

Guest Eyelike2fish

Hey King if you get this message before you go don't take this the wrong way. The reel you have (closed face) is nice if your in a heated hut. If you are out in the open you may want to take a open face as a back-up. We ran into a huge problem when three of us went up north and had closed faced reels. After using the reels for a bit all three of us had reels that no longer worked. They froze up and we had to keep them in our coats to keep them from freezing up. I am not knocking your choice in reels but just sharing my experiance to make yours better. If you didn't get this message I hope you didn't have the same problem as all three of us had.

Steve

Guest kingphisher
Hey King if you get this message before you go don't take this the wrong way. The reel you have (closed face) is nice if your in a heated hut. If you are out in the open you may want to take a open face as a back-up. We ran into a huge problem when three of us went up north and had closed faced reels. After using the reels for a bit all three of us had reels that no longer worked. They froze up and we had to keep them in our coats to keep them from freezing up. I am not knocking your choice in reels but just sharing my experiance to make yours better. If you didn't get this message I hope you didn't have the same problem as all three of us had.

Steve

8223[/snapback]

Thanks for the feedback Steve I'll keep that in mind. Safe to say that my friends and I have rented a heated hut, though just in case I am bringing my ultra light flueger spinning reel as back up. Thanks again. Hope to see you in Port Dalhousie one day soon. Have a good night! :angry2:

Guest kingphisher

P.S. I got new batteries for my Dig Camera so if things turn out I'll post some pictures from my trip. I tryed taking a pic of the Brown but the batteries were drained. Cheers!

Guest kingphisher

Well I'm Back from my ice fishin' trip in port rowan. It was alot of fun. My group caught 30 perch total. They were all to small to keep. It seemed to me that there were way to many people raceing around on their snowmobile's and making too much noise. Acker's Ice Hut was the company we rented a hut from. The only I would do differently would be to bring my own minnow's from a different source because the ones the supplied were like micro minnows. I truley believe that the size of the bait is realitive to to the size of fish caught. I'd definately go Ice fish again though. Bay of Quinte walleye next time though I have heard fishin really good there

Archived