New User

Guest flip_kyle

Guest flip_kyle

Hey everyone, im new to the board. I've been looking at this site for a couple weeks now and have found it very interesting and helpful. Im not very experienced because of my age but i really enjoy fishing and it is something i plan on doing much more of. I was looking for some advice on a rod. I have an Abu Garcia Agenda rod and reel combo and a Quantam Micro Rod and Reel. I plan on going to the Bass Pro Shop Outdoor World thing in toronto when i get my licence in a couple weeks so i was hoping someone could give me some advice on picking up a good rod and reel in the $150-$200 price range. Thank you for any help.

Guest flip_kyle

I plan on doing alot of bass fishing more than anything else. Without a boat though, i will be limited to shore fishing so i guess generally im looking for an overall good versatile rod.

flip_kyle, welcome to the site and enjoy!

For a few hundred bucks you can either buy one really good rod and reel combo, two fairly good combos or one combo and lots of gear to go along with it. You have to be a little more specific though of the type of fishing you will be doing and the members here will be more then happy to make suggestions for you. Cheers!

:Gonefishing:

Guest flip_kyle

I like Rick's suggestion of one good combo with alot of gear. I consider the 2 setups i already have to be fairly reliable as they have caught me many good fish but im looking to get really into it this year so i think i need a good setup and some good equipment. Also, if anyone could suggest some good tackle stores in the st.catharines area, ive only been to petes and i would rather support a local store than a chain. thanks again for any help

Guest bigfishbass

welcome aboard....i too agree with the fairly decend combo and lots of gear....have a good time at bass pro.... it's unreal in the fishing area....the guys there know their stuff so ask away....

I never seem to spend more then $100 on a combo. I have lots of the Ugly Stiks and Ugly Stik Lites and a few of the Abu Garcia Cardinals and I'm happy with these. Any of the Shimano combos are good as well and I hear good things about the Izumi series rods and reels. A shore angler requires a lot less compared to a boat angler who gets to move around a bit more in different situations so getting one combo and spending the rest on other tackle would be a good idea.

Hey Flip_Kyle,

May i suggest going with a shimano reel they are my absolute fovourite for bass fishing... maybe try a Shimano Syncopate, around 70 dollars, no problems with mine so far...

Brad

Guest bradley_p

Welcome abord Klye i agree with fullofgas on going down and seeing Gill Finnigans. He is in the Niagara Bass Masters so try to get down and see him. He will talk to you about good bass spots off shore and head you in the right way with gear.

brad

Guest Jeetmuck

Welcome aboard flip_kyle.

I am sure you will enjoy this fishing community as much as I. Good people with lots of information to pass along. I like the thought of buying one decent all around rod and lots of different tackle. Then as you find when targetting different species, you will adjust your hardware to that species. I like Shimano as well and have used them for years but I was given an light medium Abu this year as a gift and have really come to like it. Doesn't carry as much line as I would like but the action and retrieval is excellent. As for rods, considering the fact that I am at time rough with the equipment, I have never gone wrong using the Ugly sticks which are built to last.

Take care and enjoy this board.

Gene

Archived