Buffalo Canoe Club and Abino Bay

scottydog

Heys Guys: Went out and fished in the bay today. Did not get one hit and all the guys there did not get any either. The ice conditions were poor. From shore out about 1/2 mile there was anywhere from 2-5 inches of ice. Smoe spots had only about 11/2inches. I would be cautious when walking out and stay on the white ice. The clear black ice is thin new ice. Watch for snow covered spots. If temps stay cold at night we should be fine for the next couple of weeks. I believe the lake was so warm this year that it is taking awhile to cool down Once it gets to a set temp I believe it will thicken up quicker. You can fish this first 1/2 mile ok but use your caution. I fished with a guy who walked out almost a mile. Two inches or less. Some large open pressure cracks and slushy areas. He did not stay there long. Halloway Bay side there tends to more ice thickness from what I here from a couple of guys I was talking to today. Good fishing. Scottydog

:blush: Good to hear. I was stuck in Brantford for a hockey tourney and was thinking I was missing all the good ice fishing weather. Today seems beauty. I'd go out but I'm afraid of catching the big perch too early :lol: and I gotta work on the 1st. You guys in the Fishin Niagara derby better get out on the morning of the first because you know what happens in the case of a tie!

Archived