Spring Trolling Rods and Reels

Guest Weedman

Guest Weedman

Hope this very cold winter is not holding any of you back from getting out to enjoy the fresh air. I'm looking to get into the spring trolling off Port Dalhousie/St. Catherine's in a little more serious fashion this spring. I have all kinds of tackle to conquer the Salmon and Trout of Spring.....tons of body baits, Offshore Planer's etc. Any tips on using these type of boards in the big lake?

I am thinking about a purchase of a couple rods and reels that are a little lighter action than my normal downrigging outfits as well, and wonder what the guys who post here like to use.

I have 4 Ambassadeur 7000 series reels, on 9 ft. medium to heavy action Triton Downrigger Rods for my deep water trolling.....might be looking to part with a couple of those outfits as well, but will post those on the buy and sell.

Any information what trolling reels and rods are suited to this type of fishing?

Tight lines to all.

Athough i can't suggest anything i can tell ya what me and my crew use. We gotta lot of rods that are Shimanios (TDR, tritons) diawas (black widows, a few lower end rods, and a light abu garcia (conolon, 8'.6" great for a light rod) Reels shimano (TR100G's, corsairs, diawa (accudepths) I don't know if that kinda helps????

We also gotta new dipsy rod made by Okuma thats stiff and great for dipsys.

Duke

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson

I really have know idea what my rods are, Denis would no better. The way I break my stuff I've over the years figure that cheaper is better. :Gonefishing:

I have Trolling Reels with Linecounter all under $100.Although Denis did talk me into a $150 reel

I have 2 Dipsey rods with the reels loaded with no streach line,for my off shoreboards.

I have 2 Dipsey rods, reels are loaded with 20lb Pline I use these for my inline boards.

I have 2 DRigger rods loaded with 20lb mono

I have 2 rods for flatlining,I believe they have 12lb test on them.

I have 2 other reels with 15lb Fleaflicker line on it.

I have 2 other rods and reels somewheres loaded with leadcore line,and Denis has 2 he's getting fixed for me. :blink:

I have two 9.5ft. Berkley Power Rigger rods that I have 20# Flea Flicker line that I use in the summer for downrigging and I've been using them for 15 years with no probs.

This fall I bought two 8.5ft. Okuma combos with line counter reels from Denis that I'm going to use in the spring at Wellar/Niagara bar and also when targeting Walleye/Rainbows in the summer. I spooled these with 14# mono. They have a much lighter action and should be a blast with a 20# Salmon on.

I can hardley wait for April. :Gonefishing:

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson
Brain:

What is a dipsy rod?

I assume it is for a dipsy diver but is it labled dipsy or have certain characteristics.

thanks

Dan

8447[/snapback]

Yes there marked Dipsey rod I bought the 10.6 rod comb,that Steve bought. I think Denis has 1 left. The rod is very stiff so wave action doesn't make the rod bounce.

Stiffness combined with no streach line and a dipsey off of the big offshore boards is the perfect comb.

Archived