Boat choice

Guest Daj

Hi All,

Question: Welded or riveted?

What is best?. I am planning to purchase a 18.5' boat OB for trolling on the lake and upper niagara, drifting on the lower niagara, and do what ever else i can learn...

I have been thinking about this for 3 years, and although I figured out the options I want (need and want :Gonefishing:, I am still in the dark with the riveted/welded thing..

Any opinions out there?

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson

Only 1 choice and thats welded,not only hitting ice,but hitting waves or hauling it on dirt or broken roads will loosen rivets. Fiberglass is not a good option for the niagara,cold water and icebergs can spell disaster!

Well Im surprized too..

I intend to fish in the winter for steels..for sure, as I do now form shore...

But I am really surprized!!!

Thanks

8479[/snapback]

Daj

The lund is a better boat then the Legend the price proves.lol I bought my legend for 3 reasons,it's built in Canada,it's all welded,and it's all I need for fishing up north. If I new I was going to fish the great lakes as much as I do I would have bought a bigger legend.

This one is all I really need though. If it's to rough to take this boat out,I really shouldn't be out there anyways.

:blush: The Lunds are double riveted vs legend with single rivets on the models that had rivets. I had a lund for 18 years and it never leaked..wave pounding and all. then I got the legend and within 2 years had loose rivets. The new legend welded are a better product than the old rivetted ones. Then again if you can find a lund or similar hull with the double rivets you will be fine.

Daj

The lund is a better boat then the Legend the price proves.lol I bought my legend for 3  reasons,it's built in Canada,it's all welded,and it's all I need for fishing up north. If I new I was going to fish the great lakes as much as I do I would have bought a bigger legend.

This one is all I really need though. If it's to rough to take this boat out,I really shouldn't be out there anyways.

8487[/snapback]

We bought they 19.5 xcalibur 100 gauge welded hull. Excellent boat I think the real difference between it and the lund is the minnow live wells or bait wells and maybe an extra glove compartment not to mention the price. You can store 8 foot rigger rods in the compartments and not take them apart. I think it has the widest beam of boats in that size range and as for handling the rough stuff we've had her across erie in some good seas and I'm here telling you about it. Use common sense and this boat will treat you right . I would however upgrade the motor I think it comes stock with a 70 or 90 horse we put on a 150 opti-max and its all the power you really need unless your into parasailing :( Brian I got those nipigon pictures on the way and a few others. That boat ramp is waiting for the avro but I'm not sure about those lakers :blush:

We bought they 19.5 xcalibur 100 gauge welded hull.  Excellent boat I think the real difference between it and the lund is the minnow live wells or bait wells and maybe an extra glove compartment not to mention the price.  You can store 8 foot rigger rods in the compartments and not take them apart.  I think it has the widest beam of boats in that size range and as for handling the rough stuff we've had her across erie in some good seas and I'm here telling you about it.  Use common sense and this boat will treat you right .  I would however upgrade the motor I think it comes stock with a 70 or 90 horse we put on a 150 opti-max and its all the power you really need unless your into parasailing  :dunno:  Brian I got those nipigon pictures on the way and a few others.  That boat ramp is waiting for the avro but I'm not sure about those lakers  :worthy:

8518[/snapback]

Denis I read somewheres that the 19.5 xcalibur was best in class.You are right about the engines,there all under powered. It looks like another board member here is buying himself a Legend!

Still waithing on the pictures...... If there big,shove them in a zip file.

Like to get up that way later in the week. Is the ramp there being looked after?

Daj

Don't forget to budget $2-3000 for a kicker/backup motor. You don't see alot of boats out this time of year with only 1 engine/esp now that the US Coastguard station has there boats pulled do to ice at there docks.

Archived