Queenston on Sunday, 30th Jan/ 05...

mobyclick

Hey Gents....

Got down from Waterloo at about 6:45 am and fishing by 7. Arm was sore by 10:00, but still kept casting.... was hoping to break in my new 12-1/2 foot Shimano convergence rod I got for X-mas on a nice piece of steel...

Got a great hook up for about 3 or 4 minutes using on a black and silver/white streamer, didn't see it, but better than 10 pounds, in my honest opinion LOL!!!

Three hook ups in total, all after 11:30 am, didn't see any of them. :( Hooks were sharp, hooks sets were hard for the first two, sift on the last one but it didn't make a difference, hooks were sticky sharp too, I wish I knew what went wrong. Any way, it felt great to have a bruiser on for a few minutes. Can't wait to get back down, gotta stock up at Pete's unless "fullofgas" gets back soon, I am in desperate need of some more streamers and corkies, I lost about 10 this past trip. :blush:

We're off to Nipissising next weekend for a "superhut" weekend at Glen Echo Cottages, hope we do better there!!! We'll be back down to the river in a couple of weeks, if you read this Rob, let me know if you'll be around on the weekend of February 11, 12,13, we have to hook up and do some "streamer business"!!!

Take care,

Mobyclick I would suggest not getting streamers at Pete's. Ive been buying them there and i find the hooks used are horrible even if i get out of a snag the point of the hook is usually bent over.

We also were at Queenston on Sunday morning until early aft... One hit and one screamer that almost spooled me before a break off. (4000 reel, 8 pound main, 6 pound fluo leader). Did not see anyone else on the shore with a hookup...

:worthy: Thanks for the info on the streamers, guys, I am going to have hit Gill's the next time we are down that way and pick some of the streamers that he's been getting from one of the locals. They seem to work for me and I haven't been skunked the last four times I've come down. Does Gill's sell the same bulk pencil weights as Pete's B & T???

gill is makn the fatter weights but thier softer than the ones at petes so thier easyer to cut down.. call ahead if you are wanting to buy a 50 pk so he knows to pkg them for you...prices ar about the same

Hey CJ, darnit, I knew I should have came with you...but school IS mor important at the moment...even though I didn't get much studying done on Sunday LOL.

Hm...I may be able to do Feb 12 or 13th...but definitely not 11th because it's a Friday and I have 3 classes on that day.

Give me a call on Thursday the 10th if you're good to go? And would you have the extra gear for me to use, everything from rod, to floats down to hooks? As usual, if I lose it, I replace it :worthy:

How did Pete do on Sunday?

BTW, I find that I lose fish on my rod as well (same model as yours). I just haven't foung it's full potential yet. Were you afraid to let it achieve a full bend when need to? Or did you trust in it too much? I find that if I let my rod do too much work, my lighter leader usually breaks...so I can't depend on my rod 100% at times to cushion all the tension. Like I said, I haven't learn to use the rod to it's max potential yet...

If you find your lead keeps breaking off then why not loosen the tension slightly on your reel. Every rod and reel is different and you have to find the right settings for each combination. Once you find that sweet spot on your drag you'll be able to let that rod bend around till it comes back between your legs without snapping off.

Now if I could just get a hookup to test my new rod. Guess I'd have to get to the water first eh? Stuck at home with a sick kid again. Damm cold season!

dont think ill be here but gill finigans on queen st will have streamers for sale..

8484[/snapback]

how do I find gills place was going to petes but might be out of the way with the boat on

he is on Queen street in Niagara Falls! Near the Bank of Montreal! If you coming from St. Kitts take the QEW to 420....take the 420 to Victoria ave make a left onto victoria....take that to Queen street and make a right! Look for the bank of montreal....he is on the opposite side! If you go past the bank of montreal you have gone too far! You have to look carefully cause he is kinda hidden!

Archived