Fishing Lake Ontario

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson

:(

As usual up at 04:15,feed and dewatered dog, Tim's,gassed up the boat, I used $6.75 in 6hrs Tuesday.

Got almost all the way to PW,when I remembered I was supposed to be going to Jordon this mornin :blush:

Getting old :dunno:

Launched at 05:00,half throttle (In the Dark)out to 60FOW,off the Greenhouses. Droped a glow dodger and cut bait down 56', The other rigger, Silver flasher and cutbait 46'

After I took this pic. The smoke stack is Olcott NY

Sunup0902nd.jpg

I brought in my glow dodger,just as I was taking it apart to run another dodger,I look over and theres my other rod straight out and bouncing, layed down (threw) my rod and grabed the other,nothing there.

Short time later on the same rod,I hook a nice fish,he peels out alot of line and turns,I caught up to him and as the dodger broke water at the back of the boat,off he goes. He felt like he was near 20lbs.

Next stop was the Niagara Bar,where it drops from 66-109 in a blink. Hook and landed a beaut. :angry2:

Salmon0902nd.jpg

The inline board is bigger :(

Turned there and trolled back within a mile of the Canal and called it a day.

7 hrs. today.

I tried dodgers with just about everything I had on the way back!

Tomorows another day,I believe lakeshore is joining me in the AM.

;)

I only had to stop for smokes this mornin as Lakeshore brought the coffee and the donuts. I met Lakeshore at the gate and we launched around 06:00 We were on station shortly after,and shortly there after we were greeted with a most peaceful sunrise. The wind was the strongest at this time,it died during the day and got hotter.

Sunup0903.jpg

I was using dodgers and cutbait on my D.Riggers,with limited success,all shakers. I had both my inplaner boards with a Lyman and a Bomber. Nothing on them at all. So I left one out and put on my dipsy,I believe we got 5 or 6 shakers on the dipsy.

We were doing fine until I noticed that I had lost my yellow with red flag inline board. We did a search,when a boat came by stopped turned around dipped something up as they were leaving I hollowered and called on the VHF . :P

I would hope it wasn't my board they picked up,we were only 300yds from them.

All toll we hooked and released 7 fish,lost 1 and had one pop off.

Lakeshore thanks for the grub this AM. I'll see you soon! Have fun Tuesday :) Saw out there,gave you a shout on the VHF.

So that's what 6am looks like ;)

great report as usual... my uncles are heading out tomorrow on the boat, without D'riggers or anything "fancy".... will have to point them to this post tomorrow when they get back and show 'em what they missed :P

:)

Tell them to use Dipsy divers,I was running a flasher and a NK blue/silver/white.

#2 setting 200 FOL out

579[/snapback]

Hey Brian, good to see your still at it. We just got back Fri. afternoon and yes the family and I had a great time, thanks.

I'm off till Wensday If they don't call so I'm thinking of trying PW or maybe Jordan.

It looks to me like lots of marks around here but not many being caught. I'll let you know how I make out or you can send me a line if your going out early one morning.

Good fishin, Steve

Stevek

Glad you and the family had a great time. I might have been launching to early for you this AM.

;)

5 hrs. Fishin.

Up at 03:00,dewatered and delogged the dog. Coffee,gas and I was at PW at 04:00. Launched at 04:30. Trolled out to the Niagara Bar,Red Can area. 1 D.rigger down 56' I also had the dipsy out with 200FOL,with a blue/silver nk lure. Lost a fish on the dipsey. Wind out of the SE was not what I expected,at one point the depth on the FF was 92',then the next wave it was 96'. Wasn't planning on stay late,so I packed her in at 09:30.

dipsy0905.jpg

The picture doesn't do the waves justice.

Brian, You were right about a little to early. Launched at Jordan by myself about 11 hrs. after you at 3:00pm. Way to rough for my boat with only one guy.

Only put out one rod and stuck it out till almost 6:00. Nothing but two big ones coming over my bow, and I mean waves.

Maybe taking the kids to PC tomorrow. see how the winds are.

Thanks for the info LT... unfortunately it wasn't heeded... however, they did manage 2 4# smallmouths off the "green bell buoy at the mouth of the Niagara".... the best thing that came of it us that my uncle is now hooked on fishing and he's putting together a plan to grab a pair of downriggers and a couple rods..... now i've really gotta get out with you so you can teach me how to use 'em, so i can "help" him with his ;)

Stevek

I was thinking the same thing trolling into the wind! "What the heck am I going to do if I hook a fish"

It looks like the winds will make most of this week a right-off. Looks like S20 tomorrow,I'll probably launch in the am.

spanky

Contact he has or did have 2 Walkers D.Riggers for sale.

's Post

:Gonefishing:

Launched at PW 06:00 Headed out to 25FOW both riggers down, 15' & 20'

Trolled in front of the Canal until it became light and I could see how dirty the water was. :)

Pulled everything in and headed down to the Bar dropoff. Marked lots of fish. Trolled down near 4mile creek, then back up to the border,trying everything,cutbait,J.plugs,lures, Dipseys ect ect. Nothing!! Pulled everything up at 10:00 and headed to PD,expecting to see a big crowd 2 boats was all,maybe earlier there was a crew. Not a hit there either. Trolled back to the Canal,lots of fish in the mud line but no one was hungry.

Called her a day around noon. :(

Guest steelies

Launched at PW 06:00 Headed out to 25FOW both riggers down, 15' & 20'

Trolled in front of the Canal until it became light and I could see how dirty the water was. :)

Pulled everything in and headed down to the Bar dropoff. Marked lots of fish. Trolled down near 4mile creek, then back up to the border,trying everything,cutbait,J.plugs,lures, Dipseys ect ect. Nothing!! Pulled everything up at 10:00 and headed to PD,expecting to see a big crowd 2 boats was all,maybe earlier there was a crew. Not a hit there either. Trolled back to the Canal,lots of fish in the mud line but no one was hungry.

Called her a day around noon. :(

701[/snapback]

It was a slow day for us too Brian.

We launched at 6AM from Grimsby and boated only 1/1 all day until 3PM.

21 lb dark male off a silver /blue evil eye behind a green dodger 70 ft. over 150FOW.

There was lots of boats but no one doing well.

Guest erie_guy

Hey Brian, how's it going!? That's what I don't like about dodgers. Bet you guys never thought you'd hear from me agian. My company sent me up to work at the Bruce Nuclear for a month and laet me there to rot!

See ya'

Tim

dr_feelgood

Hey Brian, were they all "red bellies"?

Don't know,but I do know what a Full Belly looks like :(

budy1food.JPG

budy3food.JPG

budy4food.JPG

Erie guy

Good to hear from you. How'd you make out with your boat? did you have to pull it?

Steelies

You had a better day then I did!

Launched yesterday mornin @ 05:00

Trolled out from the Canal to 71FOW

Sunup0912.jpg

1 Rigger down 56' the other trying 's Tec..

I dragged my canon ball from the Canal all the way down to 4mile creek on the American side. Nothing,not a hungry fish. Water temp 68.+Did see some nice marks,that was about it.

Pulled everything in and headed to the inside of the Niagara Bar. I told SteveK that I'd have a look at the conditions. The water was murky at best. lowered the Riggers down and caught massive clumps of grass,weeds ect. Both riggers were filled within mins.

Pulled out of there and headed straight out,low winds,small waves,before I new it I was out where the border turns and heads down the lake,400FOW+. Lowered the riggers 127' the other 100'. Did see some schools of fish,but again no takers. water temp 68.9

After a couple of hrs. I headed to Jordon. Water temp in there was 70-71F. Got some gas there and headed back out. Stopped in to PD, by this time it was after 2:00. Didn't see anyone fishing there. Trolled over to the Canal and called it a day.

Nearly 12hrs on the water and not a hit. There was no other boats out that I saw in front of the canal or down our shore line. The American fleet,Sat it was a fleet,I only saw a hand full of boats there Sunday.

Spent to many hrs. in the sun,heat sick last night!

Up yesterday mornin at 03:45. I headed to Dunnville to pick up at his shop for 06:00. Leaving there we headed down river to launch the HMCS Avro Arrow. On the way down he noticed a smoke stack that the steam coming out was on a 90d angle to the stack. We arrived at the launch to find near white caps on the river. Sadly that was the end of our LT hunt on L. Erie for that day.

I shall return ,just need the wind gods to be in our favour!

This mornin I was up at 05:30,thinking of heading to PW. I let Buddy the dog out in the back yard while I hooked up the boat. After doing so I heard him barking,not wanting to wake the wife up B) I ran to the back yard to find a strong smell of a skunk coming from the backyard and shortly later from Buddy B)

Needless to say that was the end of my fishing for the day. He's smelling alittle better :worthy:

Thanks for the invite fiahmaster! I'm afraid this weekend i've promised the wife I would do some yard work and that will free me up till next spring :worthy:

Yep we need to hit L.Erie soon,frigging wind,going to blow hard all weekend,looking good for Mon.Tue. though.

This is the 2nd time this summer he's got skunked,he' luckly there only yearlings. The first one he bit it in the ass. talk about having bad breath.

Good luck Sat.

Archived