scugog report

Guest cplummer

Guest cplummer

Went to scugog bradley_p and myself ( cplummer) met up with jeetmuck (Gene )and FIN S FISHER (Keith) on tues . I landed 2 walleye one being 1 lb the other well.. too small so i released it. Many perch to be had as seen on the aqua vu , we kept 4 jumbos.The morning bite was crap .. Gene got a grip on a 10 lb muskie but due to a scared to lose hand person he got off!!!! (sorry gene) ..Bradley did however land a 14 lb muskie ..SWEETTTTTT........ hopefully the fish will be on the feed a bit better next time...

cliff...

Guest Jeetmuck

Had a great time hitting the ice again. Not too worried about losing the fish, wasn't the first lost and certainly won't be the last. At least I had witnesses this time, so no one can call me a liar...LOL.

Just to add, Bradley was fishing with the holes 3 feet apart, 8 inch holes and the muskies head and tail were past the outer edges of the holes. I estimated at 46 inches give or take a couple. Good job landing him.

Gotta do it again real soon. Maybe next time we hit BOQ for the day.

Gene

Guest cplummer

yeah BOQ is on my plan.We'll figure out what spot to hit and where Gene then maybe we will post it a week ahead of time and get some of these guys up there for the day..

cliff...

Guest bradley_p

Thanks guys it was my 1st Muskie so i was happy and didnt really care if i caught anything esle lol. BOQ sound good i would like to get down to dunnville before feb.12 also

brad

83863380.jpg

Nice job guys. Please don't take this as a knock on you but I just want to let you know a few things I have learned in the past year. If a CO sees you posing for a picture with an out of season fish(OOSF) you are going to be looking at a nice fine. If you read the regs it says any fish hooked out of season has to be released immediately. I have read discussions on this before and lots of people release the OOSF in the water. Obviously not that easy while ice fishng but posing for a picture is definitely risky and will not be considered as immedialte release. Also holding large fish of any type up by the jaw/gill plate can cause allot of damage to the spine, jaws and internal organs. This doesn't just apply for muskie. There body's aren't designed for that type of pressures. Like I said please don't take this as a shot I just wanted to let you know what I have learned.

That is a sweet ski. You know outfishing the girlfriends dad can't get you any brownie points. LOL. At least you let him hold it. Great to meet you guys last night. I didn't get up till 1:15 with a bit of a head ache,Can't wait for the next one.

Guest bigfish1965
Nice job guys.  Please don't take this as a knock on you but I just want to let you know a few things I have learned in the past year.  If a CO sees you posing for a picture with an out of season fish(OOSF) you are going to be looking at a nice fine.  If you read the regs it says any fish hooked out of season has to be released immediately.  I have read discussions on this before and lots of people release the OOSF in the water.  Obviously not that easy while ice fishng but posing for a picture is definitely risky and will not be considered as immedialte release.  Also holding large fish of any type up by the jaw/gill plate can cause allot of damage to the spine, jaws and internal organs.  This doesn't just apply for muskie.  There body's aren't designed for that type of pressures.  Like I said please don't take this as a shot I just wanted to let you know what I have learned.

8711[/snapback]

I was waiting for someone to bring this up and I'm glad TNT brought this forward.

The law about Out of Season (OOS) fish gets quite a bit of attention on the internet. The law does state that you must immediately release all OOS fish. It also states that fish out of slot limit or size limit or muskies caught by those with conservation license must also be immediately released. Does that mean you cannot take a picture?..no, not at all. It means you may not retain the fish for possession.

Admittedly taking the fish out of the hut for a snapshot is certainly pushing the boundaries of the law, but I want to quash the myth that taking a picture is illegal.

As for the vertical hold, TNT's advice is right on the money. Any fish over 10 pounds being held by the gill plates is at risk for injury and you should support the fish under the belly in a horizontal hold.

Guest bradley_p

thanks for the info bigfish1965 and TNT i didn't now that can hurt the fish by holding the fish with the gill plates. It was my 1st muskie and i want'd one pic with me in it we landed the fish got my hook back took two pictures and back on the hole she went i think the fish was out of the water at the most 1mins to 1 and a haft and she recove very fast. As for taking the fish out of the hut there is no way in h_ll in going to take my hook out of its mouth in the hut i have more room outside to do that. Like i said thanks for the info as i didnt know that and will keep im my mind for next time i hook into a muskie out of season. Ps it was in its slot limits Division 6 size limit:Minimum lenght of 91cm (36in.)

brad

Guest cplummer

thanks for the info but next time just e-mail me and i'll correct the problem or call me if you have my # or wait till the next swill :-).

The fish was fully recovered before released !!! and for the hut deal . I just paid 500 bucks + for this hut and if anyone knows muskie, taking the hook out in the hut is just plain stupid !!!! i'm been know to be crazy but stupid.. no..

cliff...

Hey Cliff, I didn't mean there was anything wrong with the picture and I fish for muskie and know what a handfull they can be. It was definitely a smart move to unhook it outside the hut. Just trying to give you a heads up. Like Bigfish said it's alright to take the picture but I think there is a grey area as to what constitutes retaining the fish. As I said, I was not trying to be a jefk, just trying to share things I have learned along the way.

Hey Bradley, that's what is great about these fishing boards. There is always something new to learn.

Congrats again on a good day guys.

Just to add my thoughts, I understand TNT bringing that up. It was a warning. This board seems to have a good membership and for the most part the conversation is friendly even when dissagreeing. However there are other fishing message boards that have exploded just because an OOS was photographed and posted. I myself have posted OOS pics of bucket mouths but explained that after the picture was taken, I had to move to another spot because the bass just kept coming. I will not divulge exactly where they were taken because as you all know, there are a few jack asses booking a trip to scugog right now because they know the Musky are on.

With that said I'd now like to say HOLY SH*TE Brad nice fish. That would definately make my trip. :worthy:

Guest bradley_p

thanks guys i did know that it was a out of season fish i do try my best to get the fish back into the water after it was fully recovered before released and i also like to take pics of what was caught on my fishing trips.

brad

Archived