Gilford - Ice Cabins Report

Guest bigfishbass

Guest bigfishbass

Sorry for the delay in this report...but it's been busy.

Jan 30 headed out to gilford to ice cabins with pickrelehunter. Left home at 0620 and made it to gilford just before 0800. Out on the ice and in our hut just after 8. Asked some people that were already fishing how the bite was and was told that it was SLOW. Great!....Peter the operator came out and drilled some hole for us outside...mind you a 10inch power auger should have no problems going through the ice.... well there was so much ice, 15inches, and it was so hard that it took a while to get through it. It was a perfect day for fishing....so we thought.

We were fishing with live minnows in about 10-15 ft of water. Not one bite or nibble until about 320 that after noon...where I caught 2 perch one after another...and after that no more. ;) Very disapointing day for us....but still had a good time and met alot of good people...as the bite was off.

We're going up again on Sunday to try our luck....as peter (ice cabin's) has moved his huts. Will post pictures and more reports after sunday. :):lol:

bigfishbass, try fishing deeper when the pressure is high like it was early this week. Fished Gilford on Tuesday, moved around a bit and took home 40 between the two of us. Most of those were caught in 35 to 40 FOW.

I don't want to knock Peter, but if I had to rent a hut, I would give Whitey a try at Simcoe Fishing Adventures, he seems to manage getting his huts over productive water.

RPM

Guest bigfishbass

thanks for the info RPM... it was our first time up there and we sure did learn alot in the short amount of time we were out there....well it seemed like for ever as there was no bite.... on sunday we are bringing our own auger and venturing out if there is no bite near the cabins.

Archived