fly fishing

marth11

hey i just started fly fishing with this starter kit i bought but i have know idea how to cast or do anything so you help me here PM me with some instuctions to help thanks :Gonefishing:

Guest niagarariverpro
hey i just started fly fishing with this starter kit i bought but i have know idea how to cast or do anything so you help me here PM me with some instuctions to help thanks :Gonefishing:

thats funny... not something you can learn on that chair... there are instructional sites out there.. google it :lol: and go from there.. they best way to learn is from a fly fisherman thats good at it..

10 to 2, try not to break the plane. Start of with a little line out, pick it up and you will feel it load, but try not to past 2:00 and bend your wrist past that plane, pause for a sec and bring the line forward and stop at 10 o clock and watch your tight loop unfold. It takes some practice. Try to be smooth and not to quick, let the rod do the work for you.

Flyfishing is fun, and watching a trout go for fly and watching the hatches makes it a hole different experience, compared to your spin casting or float fishing methods.

Good luck with it, if you need some help, I can try, I'm still fairly new to it but have caught my fair share of 20+ inch browns on a dry fly and steelies with my two hander.

I have been fly fishing for about 10 years absolutley not serious though. Just in the middle of upgrading to a sage rod and reel. I have been using a fenwick for about 10 years.

Well 10 and 2 are about right. When you start out learning try to cast about 20' of flyline with about a 7'-9' of leader.

lay the line out in front of you. and lift the rod up stopping when your hand gets to your shoulder. Your hand should never go behind you, atleast not till you get the hang of it. Swing forward and stop when your forearm gets on a 45 degree angle. Always keep your elbow glued to your side. So the only thing moving is your forarm and only 10"-12" at the most. Get one good video on the basics of fly fishing. Gary Borger did one that I used to have. You might still be able to rent it from the library.

Always remember YOU ARE NOT CASTING A FLY......YOU ARE CASTING THE LINE and the fly will follow.

I always go to beaverdams in the summer. Go off the little grassy part in the middle right on beaverdams road. Tie on the smallest nymph you can find.

Walk out in the water and practice. I catch bluegills, perch, bass, and lots of sunfish. 100's a day. Actually I catch almost all my catfish bait (gold Shiners) on my fly rod.

You can learn by yourself it is easy to learn. It is a very effective way of fishing. It takes years to get good at though. I always go to the Grand River in Fergus atleast a couple times a year. For Browns and bows. One thing you will need though is someone to teach you about reading the river, matching the hatch and all of the finer things that make a truly great fly fisherman.

Learn the basics and keep practicing. You can also go to the grand and get a guide. $150 gets you a full day lesson actually fishing on the grand.

Good luck

You may want to think about going to the Fly Fishing Forum April 12 and 13 at the Holiday Inn on Guelph Line. It's $10 to get in and you can also sign up for lectures etc for an additional fee. There are usually rods there you can play with and probably get some good advice into the bargain.

And the usual practice of going out into a wide open field and practicing there. Start off with the simple roll casting as most of your casting will be done like this, especially if you are just fishing from shore. If you wade, then you may have to get fancy.

What are you intending to fish for? What weight rating is your starter kit?

6weight

Roll casting is generally easier to learn on the water as it is the surface tension of the water holding onto the line that allows you to load the rod. The great thing about the roll cast is that you don't need room for a backcast.

Elbow glued to your side bend at your elbow only do not flex your wrist (it will get tired quickly). Casting practice is good on a field of mown grass but ten times better on a pond as the surface tension of the water will hold the line allowing your rod tip to load. 10 to 2 is the old rule but many seasoned fly anglers say to throw that out the window and just watch the loops and feel the rod load as you are lifting the line pause as the line passes behind you, when you feel the rod tip load on the back cast move the rod forward and watcth the loops, than drop your tip to lay the fly on the surface. Timing is key. Don't rush your cast or your rod will not load on the backcast, conversely if you pause too long (not usually the problem) your line will fall to the ground behind you and snag on low bushes, grass weeds etc. and Remember the line will follow the tip of the rod. On other important thing is to hold your rod at an angle from your body, Don't swing it directly over your head. The line follows the tip of the rod and if you swing it directly over your head you really chance snagging yourself.

I have just picked up fly fishing last year, my wife paid for a day on the Grand with a guide from Grand River Troutfitters. A good experience.

Learn to roll cast as it is easiest cast and there have been many anglers that have gotten along well enough with this one basic cast.

Also check out the events that HAFFT (Hamilton and Area Fly Fishers and Tyers) club will be holding this spring/summer. They go out on the lower grand for mooneye, bass etc and it is open to members and the public that are taking an interest in fly fishing. This would be a good way to met some experienced fly fishers and have them help you out

I am trying to find some places around Niagara to go where I can cast my rod and maybe catch some panfish. There are enough people replying to this post that maybe we can meet somewhere and try casting somewhere. Maybe lake gibson? Any ideas any one?

• 2 weeks later...
I bought cheap fly rod and reel last year and have fun every time I use it. I went out to Gibson on the weekend looking for panfish but there were no takers.

Yeah, I was out on Gibson this weekend, and no sign of any fish...

Yeah, I was out on Gibson this weekend, and no sign of any fish...

I had another crack earlier this week down there and couldn't get any panfish but when I switched to the spinning gear and a 1/32 oz. jig and tiny plastic minnow I caught a very nice pike (OOS of course) in the 36" range and fat. Easily the biggest pike I have caught out of there. Good to know there is at least one fish in there.

I had another crack earlier this week down there and couldn't get any panfish but when I switched to the spinning gear and a 1/32 oz. jig and tiny plastic minnow I caught a very nice pike (OOS of course) in the 36" range and fat. Easily the biggest pike I have caught out of there. Good to know there is at least one fish in there.

Where abouts?? I am just getting use to fishing in the area. I was on the thin stretch of land that's visible from Merrittville highway...

Where abouts?? I am just getting use to fishing in the area. I was on the thin stretch of land that's visible from Merrittville highway...

It was actually a relatively secluded spot, that I hadn't been before...but I'll be going back when pike opens. To be honest, I won't be fishing that area again until the summer time when bass/pike/muskie are open. I am not a carp guy, and the panfish skunk has got to be the most demoralizing.

Archived