Lake Nipissing Trip

scottydog

Hi GUys: Wanted some info for a trip I'm going on next weekend. I'm going to Lake Nipissing for four days renting a couple ice cabins with seven guys. Should be a trip. I've never fished this lake. Can use some tips on bait, tackle and presentations. I'm sure some of my sure fire techniques for ice walleye will produce something but some experienced tips wiould be nice.Thank you to all the guys supporting my family at this time. Sounded like a good swill I missed. I will be at the next. Any advice on Nipissing would be appreciated. Good fishing. Scottydog

Hey Scotty...I was going to answer earlier but I had horrible luck in getting the fish to bite at Nipissing a couple weeks ago, so I figured I wouldn't tell you what DIDN'T work...but since no one replyied...here's what we were doing...just a simple rig with a split shot about a foot to foot and a half from the jig head with a minnow...about a foot off the bottom. If those minnows are included, change them often, because that's something we didn't do (we got lazy) and I think it hurt us in the end...keep those fresh, lively minnows on the small jig head...over all it was slow for everyone, but we probably did the worst of anyone on the ice...don't know if it was location or technique, but either way disappointing...good luck, and post your trip...have fun.

hey dog ive never iced fished there before but my brotherinlaw has done really well there.he jigswith flashers like mr champ or crippled herring with hook tied 6 to 8inches below tipped with minnow.ive seen his video lots of pike and pics

Hi GUys: Wanted some info for a trip I'm going on next weekend. I'm going to Lake Nipissing for four days renting a couple ice cabins with seven guys. Should be a trip. I've never fished this lake. Can use some tips on bait, tackle and presentations. I'm sure some of my sure fire techniques for ice walleye will produce something but some experienced tips wiould be nice.Thank you to all the guys supporting my family at this time. Sounded like a good swill I missed. I will be at the next. Any advice on Nipissing would be appreciated. Good fishing. Scottydog

8824[/snapback]

From what I know you got to keep the bait moving.Basically means the bestr way to get them is to jig.Unfortunately I can,t remember what he was using.He limited out every day

Hey Scotty Dog,

I go to Nippissing every year to stay in the Ice Bungalows and here is what I have learned: If there is a cold front and the fish are sluggish, a simple minnow lightly hooked in the back and a small split shot about 2 feet up the line works best. I agree with another response you had received that you need to keep the minnow fresh. If the fish are active, a quarter ounce jig with a minnow seems to do the trick. There have been times where we have caught over 50 pickeral, and there are time when we have only caught a few, timing seems to be everything!

Hey Scotty Dog,

I go to Nippissing every year to stay in the Ice Bungalows and here is what I have learned: If there is a cold front and the fish are sluggish, a simple minnow lightly hooked in the back and a small split shot about 2 feet up the line works best. I agree with another response you had received that you need to keep the minnow fresh. If the fish are active, a quarter ounce jig with a minnow seems to do the trick. There have been times where we have caught over 50 pickeral, and there are time when we have only caught a few, timing seems to be everything!

Guest mikalerler
Hey Scotty Dog,

8919[/snapback]

I agree with you Prairie dog, I was up there jan 21 to 23rd and we caught well over 150 perch and only 9-10 pickeral and 3 -4 pike had a great time, but the action died when the bait did.

Best of luck to you Scottydog.

4 of us where up at Nipissing Jan 7-9, and did ok. About 15 walleye, lots of perch, one pike & a couple of herring. 75%+ of our fish came on jigging rapalas. All of my fish came on either a #3 chart rap, or one of the new jigging Raps, also chart. But the other guys did fairly well with #3's in blue/silver.

Good luck

Linz

Guest barnyboy

Hey "scotty", we go every year sometimes twice, this year from Feb. 28 to March 4. Always in South Bay with Dennis at Ice Bungalows. Techniques vary. Big Pike..large silver or gold flashy spoon (Williams, Lil' Cleo w/ green stripe, Crocodile etc.) tipped with one or two or three minnows. Jig often and vigorously, you will jig off some minnows but on the sink, Pike will slam it. Perch and herring we always use a tiny teardrop (green again is my fave) and about 2 feet up the line a split shot to help get the jig down. A live minnow for sure tipped on the tear drop jig head. Check/change your minnows often. The odd "walleye" will be caught this way also. Most of our "eyes" last year came on the smallest jigging Rap, the black belly/gold back,or silver belly /blue back, again tipped with at least one or two good lively minnows,. These rigs were always fished right off bottom. I also use this funky looking Swedish Pimple, similar to the traditional ones but it has like little ridges (almost like little wings) on each side and has a very unusual fluttering motion while it sinks. Early a.m has always been hottest but who knows at Nipissing, Two years ago when we were there , every day, Monday to Friday there was a spike in activity at 2 p.m and lasted until about 3 or 3.30. We could not get our jigs down to the bottom fast enough...boom..boom...bang..bang...all kinds of hits. Just after dark last year every night, we got at least two or three Ling (burbot) and BIG ones...the biggest I've ever seen. The biggest was just under 8lbs, it came on a Swedish Pimple. If it gets really slow, try picking a few perch eyeballs out of their heads (assuming that you have already bagged a few keeper perch) and use one or two eyeballs on a plain small (#14 or 16) hook with a split shot up the line, perch go nutty for these things??? Don't give up after dark either. Even though the action slows, big "eyes" are roaming at night. Our two biggest Walleyes last year came well after dark, one at 12.30 a.m., literally middle of the night. I left a big dead chub minnow on a tip up during the day and got a few half decent Pike. Careful, last year on January 2nd I received a lovely Happy New Year gift from Constable Friendly for drinking out of residence, $127.50, not 30 feet from the Bungalow door. Guy was being a d#$%, because every single person around us was having a beer out on the open ice also, they got verbal warnings, he saw the USA, Illinois plates on my cousin's car and figgered' "he'll never come back to fight this" so went ahead and tried to wreck our trip. Too Bad, it did not work, but if you've got bevvies outside the hut, be discreet. They sit behind rock outcroppings on their bikes and "spy" on fishers with binoculars nice job eh?

Hey "scotty", we go every year sometimes twice, this year from Feb. 28 to March 4. Always in South Bay with Dennis at Ice Bungalows. Techniques vary. Big Pike..large silver or gold flashy spoon (Williams, Lil' Cleo w/ green stripe, Crocodile etc.) tipped with one or two or three minnows. Jig often and vigorously, you will jig off some minnows but on the sink, Pike will slam it. Perch and herring we always use a tiny teardrop (green again is my fave) and about 2 feet up the line a split shot to help get the jig down. A live minnow for sure tipped on the  tear drop jig head. Check/change your minnows often. The odd "walleye" will be caught this way also. Most of our "eyes" last year came on the smallest jigging Rap, the black belly/gold back,or silver belly /blue back, again tipped with at least one or two good lively minnows,. These rigs were always fished right off bottom. I also use this funky looking Swedish Pimple, similar to the traditional ones but it has like little ridges (almost like little wings) on each side and has a very unusual fluttering motion while it sinks. Early a.m has always been hottest but who knows at Nipissing, Two years ago when we were there , every day, Monday to Friday there was a spike in activity at 2 p.m and lasted until about 3 or 3.30. We could not get our jigs down to the bottom fast enough...boom..boom...bang..bang...all kinds of hits. Just after dark last year every night, we got at least two or three Ling (burbot) and BIG ones...the biggest I've ever seen. The biggest was just under 8lbs, it came on a Swedish Pimple. If it gets really slow, try picking a few perch eyeballs out of their heads (assuming that you have already bagged a few keeper perch) and use one or two eyeballs on a plain small (#14 or 16) hook with a split shot up the line, perch go nutty for these things??? Don't give up after dark either. Even though the action slows, big "eyes" are roaming at night. Our two biggest Walleyes last year came well after dark, one at 12.30 a.m., literally middle of the night. I left a big dead chub minnow on a tip up during the day and got a few half decent Pike. Careful, last year on January 2nd I received a lovely Happy New Year gift from Constable Friendly for drinking out of residence, $127.50, not 30 feet from the Bungalow door. Guy was being a d#$%, because every single person around us was having a beer out on the open ice also, they got verbal warnings, he saw the USA, Illinois plates on my cousin's car and figgered' "he'll never come back to fight this" so went ahead and tried to wreck our trip. Too Bad, it did not work, but if you've got bevvies outside the hut, be discreet. They sit behind  rock outcroppings on their bikes and "spy" on fishers with binoculars nice job eh?

9219[/snapback]

Archived