need clarification of what i saw...

tilbrook

so tonight, around 1:30am i'm walking around the 12 mile doing my thing - realizing i only have about 15 minutes before i have to head down to my bar to hit last call - and decide to park my ass on the outtake tubes beside the 406, just under the westchester overpass.

i sit down and see lots of ripples in the water...at first glance i think it's bugs skimming across the surface but soon realize that it's too early in the season and too cool out for bugs to be chillin' on the surface....so something from underwater was coming up for air or something else was happening that i don't know about....

so my question is what the hell was i seeing?

it looked just like those warm summer nights when thousands of bugs are skimming across the surface, making ripples everywhere.....except tonight there were no bugs on the surface.....

Be very carefull down there!!!!!

Never and I mean NEVER wear tight shorts down there because there are plenty of friendly men who will try and make small talk with you then ask to hold your rod! I got chased because of my tight shorts! I don't think it was beaver at all. Beaver doesn't hang out there :worthy: friendly men do :worthy:

On a more serious note if you were by the catwalk where the rootbeer river comes from, it's full of carp in there. Very soon possibly even today, you will see them doing what looks like a salmon when it runs aground. The carp will be doing their thing very soon and they get so distracted by the orgy that you can actually reach down and pick them up.

WARNING!!!! If you pick up a spawning carp you will get eggs all over your arms. This will make it impossible for you to hide from the friendly men :lol:

Ahaha thanks guys, definitely wasn't june bugs; wasn't anything on the surface....must have been carp, didn't even think about that...(and yeah, I was talking about the 'root beer river' outtake).

thanks for the clarification!

I'm not sure the area of where you are talking about, but if it was a creek, it was likely the spawning run of the suckers (white suckers).....When I was younger I used to go bullheading at night, and you would see a bunch of ripples and hear some splashing in the water, then go over and shine the light, and it was the sucker fish messing around in the shallows....this time of year they come out into the creeks. Go back during the day and look in some of the deeper holes in the creeks, maybe throw a rock or two into a dark area, and you will see schools of them. Don't bother trying to catch them on hook and line...You can use spear, bow, or in some places nets i believe. Check the regs first.

Just my guess anyways,

cheers

Archived