My turn for a report!

darkapocn

Hello all, figured I would take a stab at the report thing.

Started late today, maybe 1 or 2 even, had errand this morning, and went and joined a buddy up at bailey bridge, using minnows and worms, we got quite a few perch, some sunfish and some rock bass, all went back in.

then we headed to martindale rd to green ribbon, and i have only ever pulled out a tiny tiny catfish from here durin the day on worms... but we figured it couldnt be any busier than jordan was. and we were right! only a couple other people fishing and they said they pulled in a few bass, some crappies and a pike on a bread ball.

so we set up near the bridge, nothing on worms, not even a bite. minnows on the other hand produced 7 great fish between the 2 of us, 2 good sized black crappies. 3 big cats, estimate between 8-10lbs each, a large sheephead, bout the same size as the cats and a pike! that i got on retrieval of my float and minnow, was bringin it in to recast and mid way something took it for a run! but it stayed under the water, now it was my first pike and i always thought they were jumpers like bass, but this one was acting like the cats i pulled in, taking my line everywhere not surfacing until it had no other choice. wasnt a bad size, about 24-28 inches. had a tape with me, but in my excitement that i got my first pike, i was kinda forgetful.

but all in all great day fishing, caught a couple oos fish, but it was accidental and they were released. good times

hey good goin on all the fish, that's half the best part of fishin in the Niagara region, sometimes you just never know what you will catch.

Guest Rockfish

Thanks for the report, wondered how the fishing has been in that spot, usually get a report from the Smerch but he's been harassing the pannies out at the Rec canal lately.

Catching your first Pike is always a fun experience and they will usually stay under the surface although I've had a few rockets do cartwheels. You've learned a few tactics now for the inland season opener on May 10. Also keep in mind when u think a Pike is done it's battle it can surprise u and go snakey and can give u a few toothy wounds.

Would like to get out there to try for some Channel cats.

B)

haha yea, a passerby helped me land it because i was on an odd bank and didnt want to lose it before i got a good look at it. and as we thought it was done, looked like it mellowed out at the bank edge, when the passerby when to grab it with my glove, the pike went crazy haha flappin here and there, mouth open, the guy helpin pulled his hand back quick.

i cant wait for opener when i can start using some of these lures ive picked up. i think i missed the ruler order denis was settin up tho, never did hear back from him regarding that. will see if my friend that does vinyl logos on cars can make me something up i think

i dont know what program you use for the logo, but is it possible that an .eps file will be posted or that i can get? i know my friend prefers those because they are vector images and he can change the size without distortion.

and will the pike off be limited to just northerns? or is it open to all species of pike in these waters?

Guest Rockfish
i dont know what program you use for the logo, but is it possible that an .eps file will be posted or that i can get? i know my friend prefers those because they are vector images and he can change the size without distortion.

and will the pike off be limited to just northerns? or is it open to all species of pike in these waters?

Actually I'll post the new logo in the Pike off thread now so everyone gets a chance to print one off and it's just a jpeg file.

Northern Pike only and there is only one species of Pike in Ontario, other species similar are Grass Pickeral and Chain Pickeral but they don't grow as big and don't think I've ever seen pics of them caught in this area.

Also hopefully noone mixes Pike up with the different types of Muskies, they both have different recognizable features.

Here's a site with descriptions of the Pike (Esox) family of fishes. Although Walleye ( slang Yellow Pickeral ) are included in the Identification and are in the Perch family, true Pickerals are in the Pike family.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/pafish/fishhtms/chap14.htm

Crappy drawn pics but gives u an idea anyway.

i was at jordan later in the day at that bridge fly fishing... not even a rise in the 2 hours i was there!

good job no pike tend not to jump to much especialy in early season right not they are a little sluggish still and usually the small ones jumb alot all though i have had a few 32s that thought there were birds :P

great report

Archived