Scouting Niagara Region WMU 88

Its only spring, I know ... but i'm looking for a few spots now for deer hunting when the season starts. I recently got my outdoor card and very excited for my first hunt. If you dont mind sharing some areas good for deerhunting, let me know or send me a private msg.

I'll start scouting this weekend and i can let you guys know if I find any interesting places too.

From what I understood, theres no controlled deer hunt in wmu 88, meaning we can hunt antlered deer only right? unless we have a tag for antlerless ...

I'd aprreciate your feedbacks

Thnx

Its only spring, I know ... but i'm looking for a few spots now for deer hunting when the season starts. I recently got my outdoor card and very excited for my first hunt. If you dont mind sharing some areas good for deerhunting, let me know or send me a private msg.

I'll start scouting this weekend and i can let you guys know if I find any interesting places too.

From what I understood, theres no controlled deer hunt in wmu 88, meaning we can hunt antlered deer only right? unless we have a tag for antlerless ...

I'd aprreciate your feedbacks

Thnx

WMU 88 is archery only, no controlled (shotgun, ML) hunt. You can hunt whatever you have game seals for. Your deer license automatically provides you with an antlered deer seal. The last couple years we have had the ability to buy up to 6 additional antlerless deer seals in WMU 88. There is little or no public hunting land in WMU 88. Remember to get landowner permission.

If hunting on the Escarpment, be prepared for hikers and do your best to maintain a positive image for hunting. You will not believe the places where the hikers will show up on private property, even though the Bruce Trail is well marked.

Good hunting!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanx for the Info!

BTW, anyone has contact of farm land ownwers or hunting plots in this area plzz??

Its my first time hunting and i'll need this ... OFAH has very few resources so far in terms of this and I will really depend on any one here who can help me.

Thanx for the Info!

BTW, anyone has contact of farm land ownwers or hunting plots in this area plzz??

Its my first time hunting and i'll need this ... OFAH has very few resources so far in terms of this and I will really depend on any one here who can help me.

The best thing to do is get out and start knocking on doors, even offer to do some work for a couple of days for a farmer. That may be the hardest part of hunting around here. If you want to go a little farther try the niagara peninsula conservation authority, which has land available to hunt on. There is a fee of $25 for the year. Good Luck

Start now if you want property by deer season. It not only took me a full year to get my first and only property but it took months for the NPCA to process my permits for hunting in the conservation areas!

As for the OFAH, they have plenty of hunting resources ( http://www.ofah.org/hunting/index.cfm ) but finding land locally is a major part of the hunt. You don't want them to hunt for you do you? :lol:

I'd like to suggest you contact the St Catharines Game and Fish Association and ask if there are any hunters that can help. Herb Schnick in particular can probably help as he's one of the farmers in Lincoln who complain about too many deer destroying crops. If your a club member, he's probably more likely to put you in a stand. As ninepointer stated, relationships are a must when hunting so start shaking hands today, apply for those permits Monday or you'll be scrambling come October.

Archived