50 point fishing

Guest Jeetmuck

Guest Jeetmuck

Well headed down to 50 point Sunday.

Took the kids out for a few hours figuring on some fun time with the kids and my wife. It was foggy but really nice temperature wise. Headed out on the ice at 10:30 a.m. (couldn't wake the little monkeys up early enough to head out) and started fishing around 11:00.

Met a lot of people who read the board but don't post and the reports were all the same, a little slow on the action. Didn't let it get me down. Got the kids and my wife all set up and started. Really slow action, marked some big fish going through on the Vex, would come up and look at the bait and then move on. About an hour into it, my youngest starts yelling "Daddy, I got one, I got one" and sets the hook. She starts to reel in and 30 seconds later snaps the line. I forgot to adjust the drag for her and the fish just snapped it off. After that, nary a sniff.

Other out there did well. I saw five rainbows on the ice from a small group of guys. Kept an eye out for Perch man but didn't see him, course it was way to foggy to see anyways. :P and saw a couple of 6-8 pound pikes heading home for the dinner table.

Us, well skunked again. I swear I only got that animal as a pet, but the darn thing keeps me from getting any fish. :dunno:

Gonna try my luck again tomorrow night after work. Hopefully have something better to report.

Gene

Guest Perch man

I was there. I was one of the guys gitting BROWNS not bows LOL .I was right by the open water by where you park. Had a good day met some new people and I will be back sunday if there is still ice.

Jeff :D

Guest Jeetmuck

Sorry Perch man,

Didn't recognize you. All I saw was fish in the fog. :D Talked with a few others but didn't see many others caught. I walked over but the group was busy talking with another fella I talked with earlier and we left shortly after. Congrats on the catch.

Maybe see you out there some other time.

That's for sure Tommy. We will see what the weekend brings. Like I said before, I am going to try and leave the skunk in the back yard.

Gene

Hey Guys, when you're fishing 50 point for trout, are you using roe? Or are minnows the bait of choice?

I'd like to try it but don't really have much experience in chasing trout under the ice.

The only time I've every ice fished trout was years ago on Georgian Bay near Owen Sound and guys were sending their row bags right down to lay on the bottom.

Guest Jeetmuck

Hi Mike Pike,

I use a combination of both for that area because there are pike as well. Colours I have used are chartreuse and pink for roe and strictly shiners for minnows. I have tried sucker minnows but have never had a hit with them.

I am sure there are as many different presentation for roe as there are people who use them, but I will often put the roe right on the bottom or use a corkie and split shot about 6-12 inches away on a mono leader.

Hope that helps

Gene

Awesome Gene. Thanks for the reply!

I'll try a little of everything, even the sucker minnow for pike. When I fish Simcoe for pike, I usually suspend a sucker minnow in one hole and jig with a plain spoon( Cyclops usually )in the other hole. And I'm always surprised how often the pike hit the spoon instead of the real thing!

Good fishing!

Guest Jeetmuck

No problem Mike, I don't know how much it will help considering I have been backpacking this skunk for a couple of outings now... :D

I was using spoons tipped with minnows this past Sunday and would get some large fish come through on the Vex, suspend in the cone and then gone.

My daughter was using shiners on hers when she lost it.

Maybe see you out there,

Gene

Archived