May 17th Upper River

Tom Chopin

It was a windy blustery day out there yesterday. The river had some big waves. We managed to find some sheltered water out of the big wind on the U.S. side of the river and take advantage of their catch and release season for bass. We boated over 40 largies, the biggest around 3 pounds. 2 pike landed, some rockies, a decent smallie, and a catfish.

Very light bite on the plastic early, the spinnerbait action picked up after the sun decided to come out. Got my first entry in the pike off. Had a few other followers up to the boat but they wouldn't take the bait.

CIMG0002.jpg

Nice Pike... I'm sure you will get a longer one over the course of the pike off, but that one looks very healthy. Although not the biggest it's the best looking one of the pike off so far. :worthy:

nice going Tom, good to see some reports from a few of you "bass guys" who have been sitting on the edge of your seat all winter waiting for the action...and hey, first boat category one for the pike off too :worthy:

nice looking catch.

i have a question.. for one and all =) i noticed a few of you saying healthy looking pike... this is the first year ive ever caught pike, and have landed 3 and had a few others on the line... and am loving these fish... but when you say healthy, you are talking about the color depth im assuming? is it darker the healthier? one older fellow out at bailey bridge a few weeks ago, before pike opener said he seen one chillin in a pool some ways up the stream there that he was saying was very dark and labelled it as being an older fish?

just curious how this is all gauged...

any info is appreciated

Rock, they are just referring to the overall appearance of the fish, but the girth in particular. Colouring in pike varies according to water colour, and maybe some other factors, I'm not sure. I have noticed that early spring bigger pike can tend to have more brilliant markings, like bright red fins. This maybe just a coincidence, or may be spawning related temporary colours :worthy:

Guest Rockfish

Nice toothy Tom and congrats on the first boat entry. Alot of Pike look beat up in the Spring, males "love bite" the females to get them to spawn (drop their eggs) in weedbeds so they can be fertilized. After that, being top predators they attack each other and leave wounds, fight for food, can be territorial and the larger will eat the smaller and will also eat their own young only weeks old. They also tend to blend in with the water colour like alot of other fish.

Tom's fish was lucky and was probably a good hider or a strong swimmer to get away. :D

:)

Archived