scugog bound today

Guest cplummer

Guest cplummer

Went to scugog we got there at 1pm fishing by 3pm. The temp was +8 when we arrived and by 9pm it fell to -5 .. so.. in 6 hours it dropped big time..We started fishing in sweaters !!!!!! only caught 2 perch that were keepable and only 1 walleye around 2 lbs..Missed quite a few as they were hitting very very light.The temp swing put them off the feed no doubt..not worth the trip but had fun .Went with bradley_p and a guy named john .

cliff...

Guest cplummer

the cameras on the pooper it keeps popping fuses and i brought it back to reg and he lent me his aqua xu.... NOW THATS CUSTOMER SERVICE !!!!!! lets see fishing world do that ! ...thanks REG..

cliff...

Guest Jeetmuck

Nice to hear you got some Cliff. I mean fish of course. :Gonefishing::D Thanks for the report

The weather changes sure have been drastic this year. Hopefully things will change for the better shortly. Gonna try and get up there soon for some more fishing.

Gene

Guest cplummer

down island road you can try stephenson point it has deep water drops or try frolics beach down the centre of the channel theres a nice drop from 4' to 9' but we fished the same spot as the time you went up.. we did hit 23 one night there 2 weeks ago..

cliff...

Thats along drive for a walleye cllif .seems the bit is off there also .i use to fish there all the time .it is way to over fished now .we use to get some good catches there but got worse and worse ever year .

9251[/snapback]

Actually , the walleye fishing on Scugog is great and most likely always will be. It's a totally different fishery than the Grand. WINK WINK!! The big difference between Scugog and the lower Grand is that Scugog is the kind of place where you can sit on one spot and wait for the fish to pass by, easy limits. This isn't the case in Dunville at all. It sounds like Cliff just picked an "off day" In general the fishing on Scugog is good. Just like anywhere the fishing can be slow. I'm sure a lot of people would agree with me when I say "it's well worth the drive to scugog". A nice feed of fresh 1 and 2 pounders in January and February is hard to come by in these parts.

As for the Grand, we're all still learning. There has to be some kind of a secret lure or maybe a certain depth that no one is fishing......

I would have to disagree on that one Cliff. Yes Scugog is a wonderful fisherie with plenty of walleye to be caught. But last year within a couple of hrs 4 of us limited out on Dunnville pluse released a number of spawners I beleive the total was the same as yours. I guess we at the right place at the right time. Boy what happened to this year.

as i said we got 23 walleye between the 2 of us 2 weeks ago (catch n release)  can dunnville produce like that?  lol  nope  never...

cliff...

9283[/snapback]

Dunville can produce like that. Way better at times. You just gotta know the river. I've had days on the river in late spring/ early summer where the action is steady. Plus, in all my time at Scugog, I've only ever seen small fish, never anything over 3 pounds.... Show me a picture of a big one and I'll believe they're there. Untill then, they are fish of legend. The Grand on the other hand is part of one of the greatest walleye systems anywhere, Lake Erie. In spring and fall, big hens from Lake Erie enter the river. Whether or not they spawn successfully in the spring, I don't know. But they are around. If you're entering the derby this weekend, just wait till you see the fish that get weighed. I don't expect to see a lot of fish on the scales, but the ones that are will likely be respectable fish. My PB from the lower Grand was just under 8 pounds. No monster by any means, but that's definitely not the biggest fish in the river.

i posted a pic of a walleye 10 lbs from scugog on this site.

i know the walleye are in dunnville  but they are all full from smelt.

cliff...

9294[/snapback]

Sorry Cliff, couldn't find the picture of the 10 pound eye from Scugog. I'd really like to see it. Got any idea where that picture might be??

Funny thing about eyes from Dunville.... That stretch of river is always loaded with bait. Year round, there's lots of food in there. Another interesting thing, there is always walleye around. At some times, they're super easy to catch. But of all the walleye I've ever kept and cleaned, not a single one ever had anything in it's belly. Now, it probably just shows that I'm getting lucky and happen to get my lure in front of that 1 fish in 100 that isn't stuffed. Point is, put your lure in front of enough fish and one will hit it.

Show me that picture!! I want to see it with my own eyes!!!

Guest cplummer

last years walleye from scugog caught feb 8th 2004 just for you MR goby.I have been fishing the system there for over 25 years now and if you knew where and how to get them you would see the big ones up close and i caught many between 7 to 8 lbs .. this year i had one on around 10 lbs again but lost it on the top of the hole. They are a bit rare but i get at least 1 10lber per year and usually 5-6 over 7 lbs..

cliff...

75792841.jpg

Speaking of pictures.....I'd like to see ones from Dunnville other than 's "big uns".

232Img_4328.jpg

here's a limit we took from the Dam in the summer. Lots of fish to be had.

We also managed a 8.5 lber trolling the river later in the summer...but the pic is on a disposable camera, and we dont have it scanned yet.

if you do a search for Yo on Ontariofishing.net, you'll find plenty of big walleye from the Grand.

The thing with the grand is, you can't be a weekend angler, and expect to do well...

The guy in the picture above holding the stringer with my gf has fished the grand his whole life, and knows it well...

Yo is a master on the grand. So is . The grand is not scugog. You have to put some Time and Effort into it.

Its almost better when first or second timers go and dont do overly well...it helps keep the crowds down.

if you want simple catches of walleye, hit BoQ.

Steve

Ciff.

NICE!!

So they are there..... Now I just gotta drive up there and find them. Maybe next weekend, gotta stay somewhat local this weekend. Thanks for sharing though.

Guest cplummer

theres lots to be had in both scugog and dunnville .It's all about timing and tech. Right now the walleye are full of smelt in dunnville and scugog they get stubborn at times .The weather has alot to do with scugog being so shallow but the big ones are there thats a fact..NO matter where one fishes it beats working even on skunk days!!

cliff...

Archived