anything happening in the whirlpool lately?

Guest mofo

I burned up two vacation days fishing the Niagara - unfortunately, fishing was very slow during the days that I was there. I was using a 15ft float rod and centrepin reel, and tried a variety of patterns (egg and bait fish) with little success. The water looks to have at least 5 ft of clarity, and I marked the surface at 34 F. I drifted the Whirlpool yesterday and the Glen today, few fisherman, and seemingly fewer fish. Be careful when walking on shore ice, it is beginning to give way to even light weight, and the walk down to the Glen and Whirlpool is currently treacherous. I found using a fallen tree branch useful as a walking stick.

Enclosed is a shot (taken today) of the 'head' of the Whirlpool - it's clear and largely 'ice free'. I did experience some limited success running #4 sized streamers in white,silver and blue, try using a slip float setup.

In the meantime, I will wait for the Saugeen to thaw out :Gonefishing:

whirl7jv.jpg

Hey JFL: Very nice post. Sure can't beat the beauty of this wonderful natural setting. I'm a glen fisherman. Any luck at devils hole or down from powerchute. I fish these areas alot. All the way to pebbley beach. Always caught some large lakers and steelhead and rainbows. I will start fishing there heavy in March. Good note about the bad shore ice in glen. Be very careful, stay away from this ice. Could cost you your life. I've experienced the cold of the Niagara River. Fish with two people if you can while in the gorge. Helps for landing fish safely also. Good fishing. Scottydog

Archived