Slot size limit?

scottydog

Hey Guys : Lake Nipissing has a slot size limit. It stated in the MNR regulations that you can not keep fish between the size of 15"and 21". Is this true or am I reading the regs wrong.Good fishing. Scottydog

That slot only refers to Pickerel I'm pretty sure...when I was up there a few weeks ago, they had this ruler in the hut stating exactly that. 15 and 3/4 to 20 something inches slot size for pickerel...don't hold me to it, but I'm almost positive that's what I read, but all those pops wouldn't have helped the reading though :Gonefishing:

Guest mikalerler

Hi Scottydog,

Pickerel Hunter is correct in the fact that there is a slot size for Pickerel taken from Lake Nippissing.

The slot is from 15 /78" or 40cm on the low end and 23.6" or 60cm on the high end. Be careful how you measure, because if the MNR shows up and checks your catch they will pull the low end ones as tight as possible to stretch it into the slot size.

We went up to Yemm's on-ice bungalows from Jan21 to the 23rd and had a great time! Came home with 100 or so perch,3 pike around 3-4lbs and 10 pickerel just under the slot, for a group of nine of us, but we had two dinners and one breakfast that we caught as well. Nothing like from the lake to the pan!

Your outfitter should either have a slot size tape or board for you to use, ours did, but just in case take one with you.

Good luck to you and tight lines,

Mikalerler

Mikalerler, you said Yemm's, as in Owen or Kevin? there's not a lot of yemms so it must be one of these guys, we basically grew up together on nipissing .we vacationed for two weeks every summer since i was 6. actually rewired bear creek cottages and Owen sr. house. They were great friends, haven't seen them since 95, haven't seen the boys since god knows when, i knew one of them was working with the waltonian in the winter. where's his operation run out of? do you have any contact info? Thanks for any info, John Scholl.

Guest mikalerler
Mikalerler, you said Yemm's, as in Owen or Kevin? there's not a lot of yemms so it must be one of these guys, we basically grew up together on nipissing .we vacationed for two weeks every summer since i was 6. actually rewired bear creek cottages and Owen sr. house. They were great friends, haven't seen them since 95, haven't seen the boys since god knows when, i knew one of them was working with the waltonian in the winter. where's his operation run out of? do you have any contact info? Thanks for any info, John Scholl.

9188[/snapback]

Hi John,

The Yemms I was referring to was young Owen, not Sr. He still lives up there on the Bay and Young Owen just moved to a place on Bear creek just past Sunlit Bay, John Ibbitsons Place.

Young Owen has a website it is http://www.yemmsfishingcharters.com/, give him a note, I'm sure he'd like to hear from you. Saw Dave Yemm while we were up there, he's got a new place on the hill beside jeff chalkleys sandy bay.

Anyway young Owen runs a great ship, always there, and the facilities and service are top notch! The prices are better or the same as some of the others, but for the years weve been going up there's none better for us.

My brother in law went the weekend following ours and stayed at Sunlit bay and used Owens day huts, 8 guys for the weekend and they brought home approx. 220 jumbo perch, 4-5 pike with the biggest being 12lbs! and a dozen eyes. They even had one over the slot and released a few in the slot.

Kevin is still up there, he has a great spot over by Rock Point.

which way from sunlit bay, toward the creek or towards sandy bay? we stayed at sunlit bay later on when i was older, my dad and I and his gang used to go up middle of june, and me and my buddies chartered John and his father Clayton(must be retired by now) in october for pike, we had some unbelievable years, i miss getting up there last time was 95. sounds like you know a lot of the boys up there as well, sandy bay used to be owned by rick mason and i know dave yemm, met him a few times, i wouldn't recognize him now. man oh man, when i was 12 everyone knew everyone, it was so friendly up there, lot of good people. how long have you guys been going there?

Guest mikalerler

As you enter the creek from the bay, go past Bear Creek and then Past sunlit and its just down around the corner on the left to young Owens new place. My entire family goes up to the area for a week every year in the summer. My brother in law is close with Big "O" and Edna. He used to work the mink ranch with Dave and Candace for their Mom,Blanche Yemm, who recently passed away, I think it was in Nov. or early Dec. Like you I am also an electrician and see Carey up there both summer and winter, And the list goes on and on.

When we are up there, the vehicles,boats, sleds, trucks etc. always seem to stop in to say hello.

As they say everyone knows everyone up in that neck of the woods.

But a great goup of friends that would give you the shirt off their back at a moments notice.

Must be the water or something that makes them like that.

Just love being up there.

John still runs the cottages for Clayton, who has retired and he has the best acccomodation at the best prices around. I've been on the waiting list for years now trying to get a spot.

I usually rent one nearby and spend most of my time over at sunlit bay.

Hey Guys: Wanted to thank you for your posts. Going to Nipissing tomorrow. I heard the perch bite is better than the pickerel bite right now. Maybe a Jumbo for the Derby. I will post my results when I get back. Good fishing. Scottydog

Archived