Tagged Fish

fishcatch

A freind and I went out yesterday for walley and we got 5, there were 4 keepers and 1 dink which was released of course.

Now one of the fish had a tag in it's lip but I can't find the PH.# in the regulations on reporting it with some information. Can someone give me some insight on this...

The fish was more than likely tagged in NY . If you look closely at the tag it will read DEC Longpoint Rd Dunkirk NY. Just send it back and they will give you the info. If you cut the white flesh where the gills meet or the throat it wiil have a micro chip thing embedded, dig it out and send that back too.

the fish was most like tagged by US , myself and a couple members of this board (Me, Chilli,Bones,Frankroy) have been involved in tagging and relocating walleye on the Grand the last couple years with the MNR. Call a local MNR office, I can get you the number later when I get home from work if you haven't found it. Send them the tag number and in turn they will send you all the info on the fish..like where it was first tagged, which year, sex ect...as for the other tag that was mentioned..if it is PIT tagged as well, this tag will be right in the middle of the pectoral fins. This fish could be from this spring's tagging or it could be from past years as well. Calling the MNR is a great help to them so they can continue thier studies on the migratory patterns of these fish,angler caught success rates, and the impact of commercial fishing ect...

For walleye caught in the Grand and sporting a OMNR tag, please call Tom McDougal the fisheries biologist working on the Grand River Walleye Conservation Project.

Tom McDougal:

tom.macdougall@ontario.ca

1-519-583-1344

We all know how well the OMNR functions under such tight fiscal restraints (or at least manpower) so Tom prefers we refer all inquiries about the walleye program directly to him.

If you turn in/report a tag you will recieve in the mail the history of that fish, date captured and tagged, location and how many recaptures etc, as well as a Thank you from the MNR and I'll extend a Thank you from the Fort Erie Conservation Club on their behalf for returning info from our volunteer efforts.

On Monday June 16th we will be removing the walleye from our rearing pond that were obtained from eggs gathered from this very project. We will be stocking these fingerlings (6-8 weeks old) in the Welland River where others have been reporting the fruits of our labours by gathering scales/fin clips for DNA testing and keeping anglers diaries.

Check out youtube to see where the microchip is implanted in the fish should you have retained the entrails but the jaw tag should be more than sufficient. http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=wildniagara "Watch Part 3 Grand River Walleye Tagging"

Thanks for the report and interest in returning the tag info.

Dan :worthy:

here are a couple more quick pics.

The MNR Electroshock boat and crew we have worked with the last couple years,measuring and taking scale samples,the haul we got one day in the catch boat(don't be alwarmed all fish where released unharmed, they are stunned when we put them in the tank from the shocking.

thought you might be interested since it was brought up.

Archived