Steelhead!!

charlieD

The action at Queenston has been way to slow, its almost like the fish are not even there....do any of you guys think that most of them have started up stream already! I was thinking of trying the whirlpool...but I think I may try pebbly beach first! Almost tempted to break out the Ice rod and a chisel, and get me some smelt!

Guest Gill Finigan

I think all the steelies know you by name at queenston for the time you spend there. They are all down there laughing "Sorry Charlie" watching your streamer go by.

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson

Yes charlie if the fish are laughing at you theres not much you can do. Thats almost as bad as seeing them waving at you on the Fishfinder .

The action at Queenston has been way to slow, its almost like the fish are not even there....do any of you guys think that most of them have started up stream already!  I was thinking of trying the whirlpool...but I think I may try pebbly beach first!  Almost tempted to break out the Ice rod and a chisel, and get me some smelt!

9169[/snapback]

At the present time, the water clarity is high, this might result in fish being more selective or more spooky - throwing big pink streamers might not be as effective as it is when the water is stained. Also, fish may be holding in deeper, less accessible sections of the river, a change in the weather might be enough to trigger a good bite. At the end of the day, I have no ideas :dunno: But heck I can at least offer a guess.

You may want to try using small to tiny baits - extremely small yarn fly (oregon cheese/salmon egg/lite cream or pink) with a size 12 or 14 snelled hook. The single UB egg or small corkie in natural to lite colors may also work.

Fish may also be holding deeper, especially with the clear conditions. A good long cast from shore may be the ticket :blink:

A mickey finn or a wooly bugger have produced some browns for me in the past, at this time of year!

Name of the game - EXPERIMENT!

Fishing and not catching still beats a good day's work :D

Good luck!!! :dunno:

I heard that the whirl pool was productive last weekend.  They were using small brown spawn bags in natural colours (peach, champane)

Things should pick up soon now that we are nearing spring.

Tight lines,

Last cast

9223[/snapback]

we picked up a nice 10 pound male last weekend across from the perch beds....

thats certainly not far from Queenston.

Nothing beats time on the water to learn where and when fish will hold :lol: . This weekend looks to be shaping up the same as last weekend :D If you can get out fishing should be pretty good. Look for exceptionally clear conditions thanks to lake erie still holding ice and maybe try some colors that you normally wouldn't use you'd be surprised at the results you may get skunked or you may just have one of those days :D:lol:

I think "the holding in deeper water" theory is the most accurate. I usually fish from a boat and they seem to be just out of reach of the shore guys lately. The small 2 inch pink worm has been working farely well for me over the last couple of weeks. I just keep trying different baits this time of year.

Archived