What's with all the deer ticks this year?

Guest Super Angler Richard

Guest Super Angler Richard

A group of us were out in Thorold by Lake Gibson and got lots of ticks on us. A friend had over a dozen on him alone (fortunately we got them off before they "clamped on"). I don't remember it like this before.

Supposedly the Niagara Regional Health unit has a "drop off" program where you can bring one live in a jar and they'll test it. Is this even worth it given the hoardes of them out there? Has the Lyme disease bacteria even been detected in Niagara yet?

Are these ticks mostly just a nuisance or are they something to worry about?

Thanks.

Last year there was the first case of lyme in Fort Erie in more than 50 years.

I haven't seen a deer tick yet. Most are wood or dog ticks. Do a Google image search and see the difference. Deer ticks are so small your likely to not even see them on you. The best clue is the circle like rash if one gets you. Long Point is the worst place anywhere near here that there is a problem with deer ticks/lyme disease.

i have also had my fair share of ticks crawling on me this year when i've been fishing throughout thorold..i'm not exactly sure what kind of ticks these are but ther has been some reddish design on the majority of them and some with a yellow design...trying to squish those things is almost impossible so i just give em a toss in the water haha..luckily none of us have had any bite us yet:)

Guest billye99

I have had all kinds of them on me this year. So has the dog. They are dog ticks and just watch for a rash where they latch on. If worried about it save it in a pill jar for later testing if needed. I have been bitten quite a bit and no problems yet. They are bad in the dunnville area including bing and also hamilton mountain.

Guest Lucky Lou

Hello All,

You are correct these are Dog and Timber ticks. I train my retreiver out in allanburg with several others and the ticks have been unusually bad this year. They are not of much worry or so I am told by my dog training buddies and they have been around the little bast__rds for years. If you get one one you just pull it off, make sure to get the head out. For your dogs if they get one my vet has recommended pulling it off slowly with twezzers so the head does not break off. No diseases associated with these critters as far as I know just a possible infection if you happen to leave the head in.

Environment Cananda has associated the high number of Ticks this year with high stream levels this spring. Ticks nest in stream and creek shorelines and had good breeding this year due to high water levels in the spring.

Just hang in there I have noticed in years past that once the warm humid weather starts to come the ticks start to disappear until they return again in the fall when the weather is cool and damp.

Happy tick picking

Guest billye99

my vet gave a little tool just to be able to pull them out. works great and the head and everything come out. good to hear that they will start to disappear soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived