Is this why there are fewer honey bees around?

So I was reading some news and came by this article about a truck returning to NB with honey bees that had been used in Ontario to pollinate blueberry fields.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/080630/.../nb_bees_escape

It said there were 330 crates each with 4 hives = 1320 hives. Sounds like a lot of imported bees from NB to me. IS this why we don't see a lot of honey bees around? What about local bee keepers?

Truthfully I don't know much about beekeeping/agricultural practices for pollination, I was surprised by the numbers though.

I have seen honey bee displays at places like the howells farm etc but truthfully if I saw one in my backyard I don't know if I could identify it versus any other bee/wasp/hornet. All yellow and black stinging insects to me :)

Only bees I can ID are the big "fluffy" bumble bees. Had lots of them on my pumpkim blossoms last year. had to make note not to plant pumpkins by the patio again :worthy: That plus the sprawling plants completly took over the garden onder my corn and spread across the patio and in every which way. :worthy: But found out that I had stumbled across 2/3 of the traditional 3 sisters companion planting (didn't have beans) but pure happenstance :worthy:

Done

FW

There was a very good article in the Toronto Sun this last couple of days on bees and the mites that are killing them. Banning pesticides might help. I plan on having a bee keeper as a guest speaker in the spring at the conservation club to cover this important issue.

Archived