Put up those sturgeon pics

Well last year or so, Smerch put up a picture of a nice sturgeon he caught while fishing for perch and someone suggested that seeing as they were rare in that water, he should blank out the background. He complied so that no one would get any ideas and go there to target these fish.

Anyone I know who has caught one has done so incedentally and I don't know anyone who actually fishes for them. Well its OK to post that picture now as did this guy on the SCGFA web site.

sturgeon.jpg

The Ontario Government closed sturgeon today (July 1st).

http://www.niagarafishing.net/forums/index...st&p=110963

Do you really feel this was nessecary? Is the Lake sturgeon at risk in the Great Lakes or is it just hardly anyone fishes for them. Part of the strategy here is proactive as overseas harvest have been recently shut down. Although our sturgeon have to be disposed of in hazardess waste depots due to toxin accumulation (mmmm give me a recipe for one of those JWL) the OMNR feels they may be targeted for their caviar. The Russians will argue the only real caviar comes from sturgeon caught in the Russian Sturgeon River but with that fishery shut down now, they may be tempted to compromise.

How do you feel about the comercial fishery being allowed to harvest them for 2 years even though you can't with a fishing pole? The commercial guys will surely take this looming closure as good reason to get it while they can. I sure hope not. Its too bad we didn't have a couple years notice so we could take our kids to try for something before it became a thing of past fisheries. Well perhaps if this SARA listing does what it's supposed to, stocks will rebound and our Grand/Great Grand kids will get the chance.

I tell ya our govt. sure is bright. You can't go with a fishing pole and maybe catch one in a million cast, but the commercial netters can scoop em up. How are they sposed to rebound? I say ban the netters of all species and if they wanna sell fish make them catch em with a hook and a line! I hear stories of ppl cutting natives nets up north, why isn't there white counterpart treated the same?

Archived