Fishing Partner

Action

I own my boat and truck. Neither are cheap to buy or maintain.

I take alot of different guys fishings here and there and they all offer gas money or buy me lunch or something...

I have a regular fishing partner who has fished with me regularly even before I had a boat. I always drive. He has never once offered to pay for fuel. He will buy my morning coffee or sometimes pack a lunch. Lately I've been thinking obout my expenses. We drive an hour and a half to go down to Niagara. When you go minimum once a week it adds up fuel for truck and boat and wear and tear.

I would like to know what you guys think is fair for me to ask of him.

Once he called me around 10 pm and asked if I could tie up row for him cause he forgot to thaw some.

All you boat owners must understand where I'm coming from After he gets dropped of I still have a forty minute job a head of me to put the boat away.

The couple buddies I take out always offer to pay for gas. If we're just heading down to Bronte I always decline as it's just around the corner but if were travelling anywhere I let them pay for half and that's it.

I don't expect them to pay any xtra because I own the boat, just half the gas for boat and truck.

They usually try to pay for lunch and I decline the first time and then let them pay when they push it, but I certainly don't expect them to pay for more than their share. I'd be going anyways and some times its nice to fish with someone other than the Kids.

With the cost of gas these days I'd have a talk with your Buddie about splitting the bills.

Travel fuel in boat and truck is more than fair.....but because its been going on for this long, it may be tough to reverse without ruffling his feathers.

Its 2005.....a good time to start a new tradition :Gonefishing:

9452[/snapback]

I agree, time to have a chat with these guys. In my case if i'm going out with the boat and phone one of my buds to ask if they would like to tag along, I don't expect much, considering I don't live far from the areas that I'll be launching, but at least buy me a coffee and some timbits like my freinds always do and I'm happier then a pig in poop. It might be a different story though when you have to travel as far as you do considering the price of gas these days.

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson

Action

Half is ususlly the way to go. After a days fishing and before you get home,fill the boat and truck up,then split the cost. When the Old Guy and I went for 10 days in June we split the cost of everything.

Some boaters will not take money from someone for a days fishing, I won't, but if I tell the guy I need to stop and get a coffee and he doesn't offer to pay for it,then thats the last time he goes with me,even had 1 guy complain about my fishing gear ect ect.

half of all expenses is definatly fair,including round trip vehicle fuel,boat gas,launch fees if neccesary,my regular partner always happily pays half and often buys coffee to boot as a way to show his appreciation.yes after i drop him off i have the regular chores ,park it ,unhook it,cover it but what the heck its part of angling.. :Gonefishing:

Well, i went out today with Squig69 in his boat. I had an awesome day to say the least, got a fish and had some good company, definately wouldn't take advantage of a situation like that..... i did offer him a couple dollars for gas, he wouldn't take anything tho 'caue he said he was gonna fish anyways, so it wasn't like a dragged him out for a fish.... great guy.... got me my first bow and made my year lol

I'll happily buy the Timmies, it's the least i can do.... heck, a day out on the river with a guide would be ALOT more than half the gas!!!

Never a problem with my regular fishing partner over money. One day trips or a couple of days at Georgian Bay always chip in for gas regardless of who's driving. Was an unwritten rule from the start. Always split the cost of bait. As for Timmies we switch about but dont keep a tally of who bought last time. Have another friend who owns a boat but wont accept $ for gas, so buy the coffee or pay for ramp fees. Later, Gord

i dont own a boat and have been wiyh brian a few times.i offer him coffee when we meet and ask him what he wants..i have no problem giving gas $$ as i am working if they dont affer mabee when you plan to go out the night before tell them you will need gas $ or you cant go ..

Guest cplummer

a fishing partnership should always be 50/50 right down to the last timbit .One must consider the actual cost in running and maintaining a vehicle and a boat.I don't own a boat but always pay 1/2 even if i don't know the guy well fair is fair..

cliff...

heh 1/2 is compeltely fair ...

i have one less fishing buddy right now cause it was always "only a 5 minute car ride" or "only a dozen minnows" or "only a dozen worms", asked him to pay for hte bait one day and he got pissed off, I was driving (within the city) and asked him to run in, he wound up getting so pissed off it cancelled the day, we went our separate ways and that was one of the last times i ever really saw him. i couldnt care less, for me it was the principle that he wouldnt pay EVER since it was only a few bucks here and there ... it adds up!

id gladly pay gas and hell id toss a coffee in if it ment going out in a boat. especially with someone experienced.

IBC

on a typical day on the niagara or erie i will burn around $20-30 in gas in the boat and another $10-20 in the truck, port has a $7 launch fee but chippewa is free. if i go to erie and my partner pays the launch and buys the coffee i'm pretty happy, if he/she throws in say $10 for gas, i'm tickled pink, reality is, a day on erie for me is around a $50-70 expense, but i don't expect my partner to chip in for all that cause i would be going myself anyways. bottom line if you are the guy without the boat, (trust me , i've been there) always buy the coffee and bagel or donut, always pay for the launch, and always ask your partner "how much can i give you for gas". most times if you do the above the gas will be minimal if any but speaking as a boater, it is very nice to have someone offer gas money than just to take off. i took one guy out, never paid a thing, complained most of the day, got scent all over the side of my boat(15 minutes of hard elbow grease to get off), brought no lunch, just one pop, i ended up feeding him, giving him water,he offered no gas money, and if you think this was bad enough, didn't even say thank you, man, did i miss something here, needless to say, i won't be ringing that number ever again. well, i better get my arse off the computer and start my trek to binbrook, hope this helps.

ps, ALWAYS SAY THANK YOU! it is the polite thing to do

Guest snagged
I own my boat and truck. Neither are cheap to buy or maintain.

I take alot of different guys fishings here and there and they all offer gas money or buy me lunch or something...

I have a regular fishing partner who has fished with me regularly even before I had a boat. I always drive. He has never once offered to pay for fuel. He will buy my morning coffee or sometimes pack a lunch. Lately I've been thinking obout my expenses. We drive an hour and a half to go down to Niagara. When you go minimum once a week it adds up fuel for truck and boat and wear and tear.

I would like to know what you guys think is fair for me to ask of him.

Once he called me around 10 pm and asked if I could tie up row for him cause he forgot to thaw some.

All you boat owners must understand where I'm coming from After he gets dropped of I still have a forty minute job a head of me to put the boat away.

9443[/snapback]

I am from the U.S. side and have a fishing buddy with a boat. I always pay full gas, split the cost of the bait, bring coffee/donuts/lunch and meet at my friends house to assist with storing the boat. I just want to fish!!! Need a boat I guess... or another buddy w/boat...lol. Until then I have no problem spending $35-$45 to go out.

I have a regular fishing partner who has fished with me regularly even before I had a boat. I always drive. He has never once offered to pay for fuel

Action, just one question. Is this fellow boatless because of finances and is that why you offered to take him out in the first place? If he can afford it, he should do like Bucketmouth Johnny suggested. If he hasn't any money to spare then don't take him out unless your willing to flip the bill. It can be sticky if he can't afford it but was always your fishing buddy from before the boat. That boat might end up being the wedge in your friendship.

I think when it comes down to it all,(agreeing with everyone else here) half and half is just common sense.What im saying is if you wanna fish and the passion is as great as all of ours for the sport,50 50 pay is nothing,, i mean if you want a nice day on the water with a buddy and good company etc etc, i think thats a hell of allot better than havin 2 pay a guide couple hundred bucks when faceing the odds of not even gettin anything! I guess the point is its not about the money,its about the experience! :P

..Kirk

Hey Chilli, in that certain scenario that happened to me, even a thank you at the end of the day would have been something, it's not always monetary as i would agree that some guys just can't afford it. When i go as a partner in another boat i like to think i cover more than my share so i get another invite. As far as going on a little trip for an hour or so, both gas tanks should be filled and than refilled at the end of the trip and split accordingly.

Ethic's : This is a good subject but I think o'l bucketmouth hit it right on the head, my tourn partner and I have it down pretty good I pay for the tournament series or any other T we enter and when we travel out of town which is most of the T's he cover's the acommidation's and gas , sometimes if we do alot of pre fish we just split it' this is great when you have a partner that it just comes natural and it all works out at the end of the year.Now if it's just for a day trip or a club T that is a bit differant just out for the day I would say 50/50 for a club T it should be 50/50 but I may look at it a bit differant I would expect his far share as non-boater fee but I have always said if I'm going to run to buffalo or dunkirk I will ask him and if he kind of look's at me and say's :blink: how mutch I will say don't worry about it I'm going anyways then I don't expect any more than regular non-boat fee's, and yes a big THANK-YOU goes along way. Now I know some of you guy's with boats are going to say I don't think so but I look at it if I couldn't aford the bigass boat that I have then I would have stayed a non-boater plus the more guy's I get out and hooked the more guy's think about buying a boat and going out on there own and getting another angler hooked. The worst thing about taking someone out is getting back to the launch having to pull your boat out by yourself then turning around and he gone, then I usually say to my self, self that was a good day your welcome :D Catfish

Guest mean_drunk

Half plus launch fees seems fair.If the gas is already in the boat, he buys/brings lunch.If he can't afford it,he better get a canoe.

There is no free lunch.

Exception:If its your kid/grandkid/neighborhood kid who never goes fishing, then you pay.They will remember you.

I would have to agree with Catfish and bucketmouth . Many times I have invited people out and don't ask for anything because i was going out anyway. But it"s nice to just offer you that first cup of java or even pickup the cost for the launch ramp. What really erks me is when you come in and everyone just disappears and doesn't give you a hand in strapping down the boat. Or a good one is inviting some one out with you and that person shows up with one of his friends saying that he thought you wouldn't mind. Basically guys use common sense even if the boater doesn't ask for anything offer him anything even if its five bucks to buy a coffee it's always appreciated.

Archived