Lousy day on Lake Erie

Lakeshore

I had a chance to fish with a good friend today. We launched from Port Maitland this morning at 7 am.

Since i am not that familiar (newbie) concerning Lake Erie, I decided to take the suggestions of owner of the boat and go to spot that had been productive before.

We headed out from Port and went out to a location near or around the "Gas Wells", probably familiar to some of you (White posts floating out several; miles from shore).

I'll try to do my best with the details. 80 FOW, 35-50FT down, 2 riggers, 175', and 200' back from ball. Worm harnesses, double bladed, copper color and rainbow pattern.

2 rods, lead core, out to an approximate depth of 32-37'.

Today the wind was out of the west, some swells, 2-4 ft deep. I am usually very good on boats, but today got real "sea sick", lasted four hours on chips and water.

Didn't get a single bite, nothing, nada, zip, zilch.

Did I do something wrong??? I would appreciate feedback. I know that everyone gets skunked sooner or later, but I just want to make sure that I didn't make a rookie mistake, and could have saved a good day.

ErieAug27002.jpg

ErieAug27001.jpg

Just some pics of the water and weather conditions

Guest canada

Downriggers for some reason arn't that productive for erie eyes sometimes, try using dipseys. My best advice is stop in at bait & tackle in Dunnville and talk to Steve, this guy is the Lake Erie Master and can help you out he knows Maitland area real well.

By the look of your picture, it seemed to be too windy , and probably cold front set in. This has been the pattern for many anglers this year, and we cannot get the quality nor the quantity.

The normal fishing technique we were using last sumer just can't cut it anymore , and we might have to try late fall fishing technique sooner.

For a mostly landlubber like me those waves were enough to get my stomach doing backflips for most of the time we were out there.

I have been out on rougher days on Lake O and never had a single problem, but Wednesday was just a bad day all around.

Anyone recommend anything for sporadic queasiness???

God Bless those who can be out there in rough waters and keep their cookies down...

We were out off of Maitland yesterday and managed 6 and lost one. We fished in 75 to 90 fow. Fish were down between 50 and 75 feet.

A black dipsy with a black and copper worm harness back 190 feet of line worked good. We only got one off the downrigger.

Trust your electronics. If we weren't marking any bait fish, we weren't gettin any hits.

As far as the sea sickness goes, try Gravol... it works for me but can make you drowsy.

I only get sea sick if I drink alot the night before and have to retie something in the rollers. I think its when ya concentrate on something and looking down doing something or up at the poles not seeing the waves comming, If I start to feel sick I stand up and look out at the lake. Did lose my breakfast one morning tho.

For a mostly landlubber like me those waves were enough to get my stomach doing backflips for most of the time we were out there.

I have been out on rougher days on Lake O and never had a single problem, but Wednesday was just a bad day all around.

Anyone recommend anything for sporadic queasiness???

God Bless those who can be out there in rough waters and keep their cookies down...

sea sick try eating some ginger roots they work 99.98% of the time and don't worry it happens to the best of us, got skunked every night up at the french using the same techs as people around us they were just nailing them and me an my dad zip

Archived