Binbrook Crappie Derby (edited with pic)

Guest Jeetmuck

Guest Jeetmuck

Got busy with the job and didn't have time to post until now...

Well the Binbrook Derby was a fun day to be out on the ice and look for some Crappies.

It was well organized and what a beautiful day to be out. There were quite a few prizes up for grabs, $500 cash and a Clam 2000, $300, $200, and lots of draw prizes. Winning childrens fish just under a pound and winning adult just over a pound.

My children, wife and I weren't in the running for any catch prizes, but we managed to get quite a few smaller crappies (non-keepers). My youngest had a monster to the hole, got too excited watching it come up and released the pressure, plop...back in the hole and gone. She was very disappointed. I believe quite honestly it was almost as tall as the hole was wide (8") and at least 13" long. Coulda been good for close to a pound.

Lot's of other species caught as well, some 5+ pound walleyes, 6+ pd pike, carp, etc.

Will post a pic of my daughters first crappie later on.

Can't wait for the walleye opener and the crappie derby in May

Gene

p.s. Almost forgot, it was great to see you again oldguy. Hope to see you at the next derbie.

Daughter's first crappie

normal_kidsbinbrook.JPG

Guest vidarling

Hey Jeetmuck,

Thanks for the report, looks like your daughters enjoyed themselves.

Were you using grubs or minnows.

Sounds like we may have another fishing spot!

Was there many people out there for the tourney?

Regards,

Ian

Guest Jeetmuck

Hey Ian,

Ya, they had a blast. Most of the times they enjoy going out. We were using red and white maggots and pinhead minnows. Mostly caught on minnows though.

There had to be 100+ people out there, it was fairly big but unfortunately Binbrook is not open for ice fishing yet. Hopefully next year if there is enough interest. I have to wait for the walleye opener and the crappie derbie in May to fish there again.

Hope that helps,

Gene

Guest vidarling

Thanks Jeet,

It helps, It would be nice to have another Valens type area within 1 hour or so of Niagara for ice fishing. Maybe I will see you at the May 15 event!

Ian

Good post Jeetmuck. Sorry i dided find ya there. It was very busy and i was expecting it to be alot smaller. I'll be putting a post up soon to. Good to see your kids had a great time, it sure looks like they did.

I was in a portable black hut about 50 yards from the weigh in station near the dam, were where you at?

Duke

Guest Jeetmuck

Hey Duker,

We were about 100 yards out from the boat docks in the black Frabill hut.

There were a lot more people than I expected as well from talking with Mike at FW. Last I spoke of there were only 50 or so tickets sold. Met some nice people and spent most of my time actually detangling the kids 2 or 3 times. ;) They aren't really used to using spinning reels yet because all they have used so far are closed faced reels.

The youngest really wants to get out for the walleye opener as she got her very first 8 pounder last year while we were in Kenora.

Talk to ya later,

Gene

Guest old guy

It was a great day. Great to talk with you again Gene.

Your chidren looked like they were having a blast. I'm not an avid ice fishing guy but got a chance to get out with my son in law and grandson and had a great day. We only caught one tiny crappie but saw a 10-11 pound pike caught. It was a beauty. Grandson and I walked around a lot and watch others fish. Had a guy come to our hole with a fish finding rig {vexlar ?????} and showed us where the fish were. A nice rig . We did a count of people as we walked about. Counted about 250 give or take a few. Nice that they had ticket draws for prizes for those who can't catch . Binbrook looks like a great spot for fishing from a canoe.

Talked with the superintendent of the park and he said the lake holds crappie, bass, pike, walleye carp etc.

I hope that this question hasn't been asked and answered already, but here goes: What are the rules on motors (gas or electric) in the resevior and is there a decent launch ramp for a 15 foot boat?

Guest Jeetmuck

Thanks Mike Pike, it was a great day to be out fishing.

Tommy...There will be the derbie in May to look forward to and taking a cartopper would be great. I may drag out my little 14 footer as well. Better start charging the batteries for the trolling motor.

old guy...I certainly had a great time chatting with you while we waited for all of the winners to be announced. I really liked the set up for draw prizes which were very good. I know there were a lot of people but I am surprised it was as many as you counted. Really good turn out. Glad your grandson had a good time and hope you get into some good fishing out west this year.

Killer...I believe there is no gas motors allowed but I will look into it, as any time I have gone, it has been in an aluminum with electric motor or the canoe. There is a good boat launch there though with a small 30 foot dock.

Gene

Jeet, cute kids. Too bad I had to miss it. I'm sure my little guy would have been "happy with that crappy". There you go Tommy. A new song for your fishing band.

definately no gas motors allowed...

electric only.

can't fish the place, other than for the next derby, until opening of bass.

has a decent launch...

i've fished it quite a few times....its not easy, but there are fish there. We've caught largies, smallies, and crappy.

There are pike there, obviously, but not numbers of them. they used to hold an annual pike derby back in the 80's...i remember fishing it when i was a kid. usually a 5-8 pound fish won it. Walleye were also stocked years ago, and i'm sure a few are still swimming around.

The nice thing is, its 100% catch and release on the Pike, Bass, and Walleye. So any decent fish that are still there are gonna stay there, pending people follow the rules.

As for the crappy, there are great numbers of them, and it wouldn't hurt a bit if people kept a few...but they are Very Polluted. Its not recommended to eat any fish outta binbrook.

But what a place to take a canoe or cartopper in the summer...depending on the water quality, you might even be able to go swimming....that fluctuates depending on the year....

Look for me in my Scanoe. I'll be there come opening of bass.

Steve

Get post guys.

I hope to get in there for sure this year and test out the new float tube (still afraid a snapper will try to take me down though) I may give it a whirl on opening day if Eries to rough. Maybe i'll see ya there Steve.

Duke

Archived