Pack of coyotes?

goodoljunx

Went scouting/hunting down in Port Colborn, first thing in the mornig at sunrise I encountered was a pack of 4-5 coyotes 20 yards from me. I was scouting/ still hiunting, as it was my first time down there.. I never knew coyotes go in packs. Any experienced hunter can post some coments?? Are there any wolves in the area as well. I do have a small game lic. as well and i believe its all yer season for wlves/coyotes right? But I didnt take a shot as they were really close and I dont have a good knowledge of them. I was aiming, just in case, I thought if they try anything its still hard with a bow

I don't necessarily have much knowledge of how, when or why they pack but you may have found a family. I've witnessed many more together in the cold months, especially early spring and sunrise is the best time to hear them.

If you were in 89, they are open year round. This is due to their high numbers. You did the right thing by not shooting without being educated first and checking the regs. Also think about what you are going to do with them. I've had no reason to kill any until recently when I was inspired by "Coyote Watch" to commit my 5 deer slugs to the firearms cause. I will have their fur tanned. Most only shoot them to help out their landowner/farmer who shoot them to protect their livestock.

Although they are very abundant and in some pockets over populated, they are an admirable animal to just sit and watch. Very smart, adaptable and good hunters. Try and remember how many you see this season and watch for their droppings. If you received a deer tag, your likely to receive a survey from the OMNR asking you for sighting numbers of each. Coyote dropping look like dog dropping but they're usually lighter in colour and look like long owl pellets due to the mice etc they eat.

Good luck coyote hunting but continue being cautious. Since the topic flared up here a month ago, I've been approached by people telling my opinion of them not being a threat to humans is incorrect in the Region. My next door neighbour actually had to kick one last week in Crescent park when 2 of them wouldn't let his yorky on his leash on my neighbours shoulder alone. My co worker (also a hunter) had to chase one away from his child in Ridgeway. I've been hearing many of these accounts recently so make sure you report it if you witness any aggressive behavior by them to the OMNR.

Hope this helps.

Archived