Finger on the trigger

Dan Andrews

Well I hit the tree stand today for some deer. On the stand by 6:15 as the sky began to glow. My Son was awake and sitting up but fell back asleep so I went solo (bloody teens these days ;) Pussy). Well it costed him because 30 minutes later just after legal shoot time there was a deer standing broadside 15 yards from his stand. I poured a bag of mineral salts on it and covered it with apples. The deer spent 10 minutes there before coming to my stand.

Now I learned a valuable lesson last year and today I learned another one. If you make a path they will follow it. Problem is if you make a narrow path to your stand they don't turn broadside and you cant shoot them in the back. Well some people might spine them but not me.

So now there's 2 of them. The first one dipped for a poop and proceeded to check out my ladder. Got so into it that a hoof came up one rung and I thought it was going to join me. Now right out in front of my stand it's wide open but I'm sitting on the edge of the bush so after it walked straight to me and went into the scrub where I had no shot. The second one did the same :o .

No worries I still almost crapped my pants and had to shift my weight to stop my leg from shaking. These 2 were this years offspring also. You could still faintly see a line of spots on either side of their spine. The first one caught my scent when the second was sniffing my stand and stiffened up it body and slowly raised its tail. The second didn't mind until it noticed the first one was agitated. Then they both carefully maneuvered off in a slightly anticipating pace.

Boy what a great morning of hunting. I got busted by a nuthatch and then the chickadees who let the robins know who told the blue jays and before long Alfred Hitchcok's movie was coming true so I had to leave. Could have touched the nuthatch.

So I took a counter measure and hopefully a new bigger deer will show up in the morning. I got my buddy to drive his 4 wheeler in and make a bigger path out front of my stand to where I put a 70# or so salt lick on a post. Chances are the deer will get spooked by it for awhile but maybe the young ones will be curious instead. I'll let you know.

No deer Dan but it sounds like a succesfull day in the stand anyway, don't worry these little guys were just the teasers to keep you interested, you should get a shot soon, it's good to see you got deers coming around another month and the big ole bucks will be in full rut :)

Guest niagarariverpro

ah don't kill those poor deer with those big brown doe eyes looking at you... what did they do to you?

I say make it fair and give the DEER a gun and hunt dan's.....

just kidding.. :P send me a steak... ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Actually WJ I only put my finger on the trigger if I've positively identified the targets species and sex. A confirmed target is important to keep the sport safe! In this case I needed my scope to confirm age. They sometimes look bigger from a distance. Especially when your still waiting for your first.

Hey Chilli, if you want some apples to spread around, there is a bazzillion in my back yard from the tree feel free to stop by and take a truckload if ya want :)

• 2 weeks later...

Tuesday evening my heart was a poundin'!

I had been doing some calling and with 10 minutes of daylight left I heard the sound of a large animal moving through the dry leaves. With each call I could hear it come a few steps closer, yet I couldn't see it in the dense bush. I was doing my best to sound like a doe in heat and it was clear to me that there was a big buck out there lookin' for love. Finally I could hear the deer coming right towards me at a steady pace. This is it! I got ready and suddenly at 20 yards out popped: a big buck? No, it was a yearling! I almost laughed out loud :blink::Gonefishing::D . Next came its sibling and lastly, Momma. One of the youngsters walked right to the base of my tree and started sniffing it (I was 18 feet up). The three deer were so close, I could hear the sound of the acorns being crushed in their mouths. Its amazing how long they are able to stand completely motionless. Unfortunately, no matter how hard I stared at them, none of them would grow instant antlers. The trio kept on feeding and with my daylight gone, I blew a snort and they were off. Now that was FUN!!!!!

Sounds familiar Derek. No harvest but it sure makes your day. Do you think the rut is over?

throw some buck lure all over your jacket, roll around on the ground for a while and try and find out :blink:

good thread guys, shows the real side of hunting as opposed to just the meat shots after

Sounds familiar Derek. No harvest but it sure makes your day. Do you think the rut is over?

The rut is on NOW, especially since last week was so warm. Don't let anybody tell you that the primary rut only occurs the 1st week of November. More like the middle of November in my experience.

Now, anybody got any thoughts on when the secondary rut in December will peak?

Well I've been sick since I got home from work Wednesday morning but finally got out this afternoon. My usual route was blocked by construction (road closed) so it looks like I gotta go in from the other side of the property. Should be quite a hike.

Got there and realized I've over dressed. Whew it's warm. Sweatin already but I can hear the construction from the other side of the property and figure its a burned mission anyway. Oh well lets go check the apple pile and go for a walk. Might as well load an arrow just in case. The best shot opportunities have come when I have no weapon in my hand.

I got past the tree line that I'm not allowed to shoot and loaded an arrow. 15 steps later I hear a racket to my right. I spun and froze as there were two fawns struggling to their feet and staring back. After a stare fest I scanned the grass but only the 2 fawns were present once again. I knew that when I moved, they would too. Despite my crossbow being pointed in the right general direction and the 2 deer standing broadside, I decided for about the 10th time this year not to shoot them.

When I took a step a flash a white exploded into the field and surprisingly they split up. It was then that I noticed that one tail had turned into 2! I stood up on an old fence to look closer and saw the 2 fawns bounding off side by side. The deer that split off was indeed a large doe. I hadn't seen her standing right in front of me. As the sun was behind me the 2 fawns eyes were glistening like crystal and I guess I was blinded to what else was right there. That's ok. I got what it takes to send an arrow through an adult but wouldn't be able to kill Mom in front of her kids.

She's going in the freezer the minute I catch her away from those little ones though. Question is...... where the heck has Daddy been this year? Oh well still got a month and a half.

My brother in law was out just last week and got his first of the the season. Now he boys are up at the Hunting camp in Burks Falls. And the report has it at 8 nice sized deer. This is from a group of 10 guys. They should be home today so i will get a up date...

Archived