Weekend fishing report

Guest Jeetmuck

Guest Jeetmuck

Made arrangements to take my nephew and his buddy out fishing this weekend up in Beaverton with Floyd Hales. They are newbies and never been out before. I got all the tackle and rods together and take off at 3 a.m.

Set everyone up and start fishing in 60-65 feet of water by 7:30 and first fish on by 9.

Got several Whities hooked and up but lost every one because the newbs forgot to keep reelin' up their lines. Whities just love swimming in big circles and tangling up all the lines. Finally at 1 p.m. , I got one on and up she comes. Right to the hole and ask for the gaff, as I hand the rod to my buddy, and reach to gaff the fish, the pressure is released on the rod and down the hole she goes. I was not getting any breaks. All in all, we had 7 on, and lost 'em all.

The funniest and best thing out there was the rod I let my buddy use was dropped down the hole, watched it slowly sink out of sight. Oh well, just gives me an excuse to go and buy another one. The day ends at 4 p.m. but before the guys come and pick us up in the Bombardier, I decide to put on a couple more minnows on the spreader and wait. Spreader to the bottom, open bale on reel, line starts to move a few minutes later, got a bite, wait, wait, and set the hook, missed it, but theres weight. No fight but weight, I thought maybe I foul hooked it but no line peeling out. Look down and see another spreader attached to my line. Keep pulling up and there it is...I got my rod back. :blush:

As for Floyd Hales, I have never used them before but I am definitely heading back before ice out. I have heard nothing but good reviews and I was very pleased with the accomodations and the location. Would recommend them to anyone and from what I have been hearing, the bite is finally starting to turn on.

Sunday...headed to Dunnville with Tommy_Niagara. Met up at at 730 for some minnows and down to the river. I won't bore you with another skunk story because Tommy already reported. LOL

Now gotta get some sleep and back to work, or is it go back to work and get some sleep for next weekend. Only have a couple more weeks left until the end of the season.

Guest Jeetmuck

Sounds good Charlie.

I was thinking that I would like to go up again the first weekend of March. I have a couple of buddies that are wanting to go up again for some fishing and I know Tommy wants to try again. Maybe we could all go up as one big group.

Guest Jeetmuck

Sounds like we may have a number of people interested in going. Who would be interested in taking and making the arrangements? I know I may have a group or 3 or 4 that I have planned already but don't know how many huts are available or who everyone wants to go out with.

Guest Jeetmuck

FYI everyone,

If the group is going to head up and make use of an outfitter, you need to make arrangements soon. I spent last evening calling some, and all were booked solid this week and next. I wasn't able to make arrangements for my family this week or next. Only leaves the last weekend and I guarantee those will book fast.

As for trying to get up once more before then, I will have to go myself and try and remember how to get out to that spot on the other side of Georgina and Thorah islands or find somewhere closer to walk to.

Archived