steelheading with two hooks

bob

2 hooks is common in the northern rivers. see it more in the saugeen. they either use a roe on each hook or a yarnie on the top and a roe bag on the bottom. i use it when the water is highand dirty.

Steelheaders have adopted it. It's a carry over from fly fishermen. They refer to it as a dropper line and often tie on two different flies.

It's more of a nuisance than anything. It doen't take long before everthing is a twisted, tangled mess.

ya roe bag your right but us pinners have fine tuned it HA HA :worthy::Gonefishing: we will call it a drop roe bag line B) but for twisting and tangles yes and no. when i was it i go with 12 inch apart from eachother. as long as you got the more weight on the bottom hook your should be 99% tangle free. thats just what i seen and know is all

ya roe bag your right but us pinners have fine tuned it HA HA :worthy::Gonefishing: we will call it a drop roe bag line B) but for twisting and tangles yes and no. when i was it i go with 12 inch apart from eachother. as long as you got the more weight on the bottom hook your should be 99% tangle free. thats just what i seen and know is all

Depending on the bait, the upper will twist around the main line in swifter current. Pain in the butt!

Just my opinion, but I call it lining a fish.

so if you are perchin with a pickeral rig, that's ok, but 2 hooks for trout fishin is now lining fish???, I am glad there are so many trout fishing experts out there,I don't know what I would do without you guys during my 30 years experience fishing for trout, only to find out over the last 2 weeks every pattern I have developed over those years is wrong :Gonefishing::worthy: Us boat guys call it fishin a tandem rig...aint much "lining" going on when we are drifting in 15-20 fow, believe me, they bite it B)

Wow, I didn't think my opinion would touch a soft spot on someone. With many years experience fishing most of the fish that are caught that way are lined, hook set is usually on the outside of the mouth or around the gill area. AGAIN just my opinion, what works for one may not work for others. I prefer bottom bouncing with 1 small #12 barbless hook and a 3/8th or 1/2 oz weight 12 -15 inches from hook. Try fishing that way else where and most will agree with me, maybe its a niagara thing and again what ever works for you do it, 2 hooks is not illegel but its not a skillfull way of fishing.

I know this is going to touch a few fellow anglers out here but who cares, to each his own on how they want to accept it.

B)

Ya I think this is definitely more of a flyfishing technique. You see this all the time with flyfisherman on some of the smaller American tribs. I have used this method to floatfish 2 very small yarn flies when fish are picking up singles or to add one of those micro white twisters as a trailer when there taking those but any bait larger than that and like everyone else said its just a pain to deal with.

I flyfish and centerpin for trout and salmon almost exclusively except when out rigging the odd trip. Tandem rigging, dropper rig, call it what you will, they have there time and place and can be darn effective. Lining only comes into place when you have an extremely long lead beyond your last piece of shot(s) and your entire rig exceeds the "one and half times the depth in moderate flow rule". ( ie shallow runs or in low conditions. I have run tandem rigs with two of the same flies ( yarn or sucker spawn) but not 18" apart, rather 6"-8". Consider one to be the attention getter with the follow up of the second. I actually tie the top fly directly on the leader and leave enough to tye on the second just below. There is never any a tangled mess and I use tandem set ups on moderate to fast deep flowing tribs. As far using a dual nymph dropper rig when flyfishing the Grand, I don't think its possible to line those frisky aggressive stocked fish in the Upper.

Early in the fall season when salmon are more prevalent, I see more bottom bouncers fouling, lining and lifting fish than most others that are fishing properly. They may not be doing it on purpose though I can see how easy it would be to do the aformentioned.

LMFAO JWL i only got 7 years that i will count for steelheading but have been doing with my old man since i could put a 11 foot rod in my hand. i have many more years of learning more ways to nail me chromers BUT i know 1 thing for sure I AM NOT LINING THEM like you said JWL they are hammering it in 10 to 20 fow.

Let them swim boys

Archived