Meteor sighting

longmayyourun

Here is an interesting story from Out west

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,456505,00.html

No doubt we have all seen meteor falls and showers "falling stars". In the 70s I wintnessed a meteor streak accross the sky, from east to west. Very bright and huge tail behind it. I was believed that it did hit in the Chippawa area. A once in a lifetime experience. Has any one seen similar phonemena. Some meteors now, may in fact be "spack junk" returning to earth and buring up. This one out west sure got a lot of attention.

Whirlpool

The was a video of this meteor on MSN. Most burn up as they enter the atmosphere. This one looked like it was a fire ball right to the ground.

Not sure if this link will work. Video is on the left in the group. If it's not there just search through recent videos. http://video.msn.com/video.aspx/?mkt=en-ca...p;wa=wsignin1.0

When I was living in Toronto in 1995 I was lucky to witness a similar event. I was looking out the south facing window over looking Lake Ontario when I seen a very large, fireball streak West to East across the Lake. It had a long tail and was very fast. No one believed me until they showed in on the news. It was awesome and definatly a one in a life time experience.

When I was living in Toronto in 1995 I was lucky to witness a similar event. I was looking out the south facing window over looking Lake Ontario when I seen a very large, fireball streak West to East across the Lake. It had a long tail and was very fast. No one believed me until they showed in on the news. It was awesome and definatly a one in a life time experience.

I saw it too, it was an awesome site to see! I actually was somewhat concerned if it was going to hit the earth and cause some major damage!

RoeBaggin

I seen one a few years ago while driving the backroads between chippawa and Ft erie. Started out red and turned to blue and looked big from where i was. Started driving towards where i seen it, then realized it could have been miles and miles away and just looked that close. I was a bit scared too when I seen it comming down, thinking here comes the end of the world lol. That police dash cam is very close to what I seen, except I don't remember the bright flashes at the end.

Interesting that we have all seen similar firefalls.

"A meteorite is a natural object originating in outer space that survives an impact with the Earth's surface. While in space it is called a meteoroid. When it enters the atmosphere, impact pressure causes the body to heat up and emit light, thus forming a fireball, also known as a meteor or shooting star. The term bolide refers to either an extraterrestrial body that collides with the Earth, or to an exceptionally bright, fireball-like meteor regardless of whether it ultimately impacts the surface."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteorite

With modern technology, digital cameras , cell phone cameras, police dash cams, surveilance cams, it is much more likely an image will occur.

The Tunguska event in Russia in 1908 is well documented,

"Estimates of the energy of the blast range from 5 megatons[4] to as high as 30 megatons[5] of TNT, with 10–15 megatons the most likely[5] - roughly equal to the United States' Castle Bravo thermonuclear explosion set off in late February 1954, about 1,000 times as powerful as the bomb dropped on Hiroshima, Japan and about one third the power of the Tsar Bomba, the largest nuclear weapon ever detonated"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_event

Fortunately it occured in an isolated region of the earth. There are also well known impact craters in Canada, the Sudbury Basin being one of the largest.

Two over Chippawa in this forum, im staying North of the Welland river..

Whirlpool...

Archived