Our Deer Season

DropTine

We had some oppurtunities during bow season, but I got greedy. I had 2 bucks, one 110" 8 pointer and a 140" 10 point coming to my stand. I had my bow on the 8 pointer then I spotted the big 10 pointer. So I got off the 8 pointer and I shifted over towards the big 10 pointer when my stand squeaked and they took off. I went from meat in the freezer to nothing. The the controlled hunt ame around and My dad shot a big 5 1/2 yeard doe and a nice 135" 10 point and I got a small 6 pointer. Great year but that warm weather of the controlled hunt was terrible. We also found a rack and skull of a big 10 pointer while on a push. Here are some pics.

Matt

Picture119.jpg

Picture120.jpg

Picture118.jpg

Picture113.jpg

Picture112.jpg

Picture111.jpg

Picture110.jpg

I,m not a hunter but have come across many deer kills in the bush out with the dog .Have yet to see a skull & rack like that laying around.Would look good over my fireplace,haha.What do you think natural causes or brought down .Just curious

It's impossible to know exactly, but I would guess coyote's caught up to it or it didnt make it through the winter because it was an old buck, the teeth were intact still and we estimated it to be a 7.5-8.5 year old buck. The rack was probably a lot bigger at some point of it's life, when the buck passes the 6.5-7.5 year old age, it starts decreasing in size.

Matt

It's impossible to know exactly, but I would guess coyote's caught up to it or it didnt make it through the winter because it was an old buck, the teeth were intact still and we estimated it to be a 7.5-8.5 year old buck. The rack was probably a lot bigger at some point of it's life, when the buck passes the 6.5-7.5 year old age, it starts decreasing in size.

Matt

Thanks ,like I said was curious.Forgot ,nice pics .I have come across many deer stands over the years too (I stay clear of them during deer season though).Very surprised on how some are done up.Some looked pretty cozy.Take care

ham&eggs if you ever come across one of those stands and you think its just been left behind, climb on up for a couple of hours. After sitting still for about ten minutes and the birds start landing right in front of your face, you'll be as hooked as the day you fought your first salmon.

I found a skull and rack like that but the rack had been chewed by mice down to little nubs.

Droptine those are some great pics. Thanks for sharing.

ham&eggs if you ever come across one of those stands and you think its just been left behind, climb on up for a couple of hours. After sitting still for about ten minutes and the birds start landing right in front of your face, you'll be as hooked as the day you fought your first salmon.

So true, it is amazing what us hunters get to see, compared to what a stroller or hiker sees. I have witnessed so many things in nature, things that most people will only see on the Discovery Channel.

But a word of caution on nailed-together tree stands found in the bush. BE CAREFUL not to fall or have one of these contraptions give way on you.

Great pics Droptine! I still one tag left and the Controlled Hunt is still on; might try this afternoon ;)

Archived