Finally saw the rut

Dan Andrews

Well I don't have shotgun validation so I decided to go to my bush with some trap shot and get a couple of squirrels. On the way there I spotted 2 other hunters heading down the trail nearby. We've had our share of trespassers so I figured I head to my central tree stand to watch for orange after checking the bush for fuzzy rats.

Spooked up a doe but not badly. I flanked her to ensure she went back towards the field rather then the hunters. I don't want to be part of their hunt. I then proceeded up my stand to look for her. I can watch! Well there she was clear across the field. Then there was another and another! Then he came out.

The biggest buck I've ever seen alive. The reason you don't see big bucks is they're pretty much nocturnal except this time of year (the rut). I saw him edge up on a smaller buck (thought it was a doe) and separate it from the females. They all slowly moved off to the next field over which I could barely see due to brush.

Suddenly a flash a white brought one back, then the others followed by the buck. Was there someone there or a coyote? No it was just the buck giving chase. I then sat quietly in a tree stand watching this buck bounding back and forth, round and round in chase of the smaller doe. He was acting so unlike any deer I've ever watched. I always seem to miss the rut but it was obvious this was the cause of the show.

When the chase finished all went on the feed. As the daylight fizzled I unloaded my weapon as quietly as I could and climbed down. They never moved much as I walked away. I think they knew I couldn't shoot them and I was there to ensure no one else did. It's all in the name of animal management but the landowner has made it quite clear that any wildlife harvest will only happen with permission.

Between this and the fawn climbing my sons ladder stand, my year has already been made. :huh:

Nice, We had a lot of tresspassers too this year. We called the MNR and the CO caught up with them, bye bye bow and atv :huh: Congrats on seeing the buck, those mature bucks are usually very skiddish, that why I love hunting the rut, it brings out the idiot in them :lol:

Matt

;) eeks both the bow and ATV. They definitely will never stop without severe reprocussion but watching that go down has to hurt any hunter. Like watching any criminal get kicked right in the nuts :D . It still hurts to watch.

;) eeks both the bow and ATV. They definitely will never stop without severe reprocussion but watching that go down has to hurt any hunter. Like watching any criminal get kicked right in the nuts :D . It still hurts to watch.

LOL, I can't imagine having it happen to me, but they have been warned many times, even by the landowner who doesnt hunt. I havent seen them since, this was 2 years ago. You have to use these penalties to get through some thick heads.

Matt

Archived