Best deer hunt ever

Dan Andrews

I headed out late today as I had to take the time to file for unemployment first. Priorities I guess ;)

As I walked off the trail onto my host property, I immediately noticed the black outline of ears sticking out from the grass. Just 2 weeks ago these ears were sticking out when the deer were standing but due to the snow they must lay down to hide. Well I must have surprised it so it stayed down hoping it wasn't spotted.

Off comes the safety while I waited for it to stand. Ok stand up now and I'll bwast ya ahahahahah. Won't stand up :huh:B) . I stepped a little closer. I can see its ears move I know its not a decow :blush: . Ok one more steeeeep... boing boing boing.

For the second hunt in a row I climb my tree stand to see where it went. Not far. Its just on the other side of the bushes rubbing its chin on the weeds like a cat. Just a fawn and out of range (OOR). 3 minutes later a buck comes into the foreground and walks right past me glancing at my way occasionally. He's at 100 yards, knows I'm there and read the regs. Shotgun finished yesterday and my bow is good up to 50 yards. 35 the way I shake.

He disappears so I start rattling my bag of plastic sticks (supposed to sound like antlers). I hear a crack of ice and raise my bow. Off comes the safety once again. It's a small 6 pointer with a halo shaped rack. kind of like Ceaser or Christ :dunno: . He's flanked me and came in downwind. He's made me but he's curious. Comes into 15 yards and is lapping up my smell. I have no shooting lane on that side. He's either gotta walk right in front of me or come in from the other way. Bloody smart they are!

He returns across the field the same way he came in but out to 200 yards. By this time its getting dark and legal shoot time ends in about 5 minutes. I give one more desperate rattle followed by a low bletch. I can hear him rattling cages with another deer just beyond the tree line. 10 minutes pass and guess what happens.

Ya you guessed it. 2 bucks with six packs on head come into the field. If I climb down now they'll bust me and that stand will be toast for the season. It's a good spot. They had a gentle spar all over the field. With arrow unloaded I raised my scope to target them at 35 yards. Locked horns standing broadside :P:) . I had my choice of two but could not positively identify them and that would be illegal to shoot at that time. Had it not been a good shot a wounded animal would have been a nightmare to track. I was stuck in my stand but enjoying every minute of it.

So no venison yet but I shall return tomorrow, bow in hand. If you think this sounds like the big fish story or the one that got away, I wish it was. Thats as painful as watching that trophy walleye fold back over the hoop of your net before swimming away. I must be a sadist though because it was great at the same time. B):D

Archived